Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #41

Update on the awning arms not extending, Dometic has agreed to have a center support installed on the awning, this is being paid for under warranty, the support will be installed in early July, we will provide an update after the support is installed.
brianre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:03 AM   #42

I thought the problem was that the arms weren't extending? Whats a center support going to do for that problem?
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #43

Question Arms with no support

D-man is right on one thing. If I'm not mistaken though, the tube looked bent to me which is what I've been afraid of and ordered a support on my own. It has not been installed as even today the rear arms won't leave the wall until pushed. No wear marks on paint showing rubbing or hanging up. Clean and siliconed joints and gas tube and the fabric will still unroll down the wall. If it ever decides to work, I will install the support as 21 feet is to long. Learned to late!

Going to try a piece of thick rubber gasket material just to see if that small amount will help the arms leave the wall.

No nuts/bolts to loosen on this one. Only fasteners are those silly star washer looking things. Not going to try to mess with them without replacements and paint to fix the scratches.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #44

Dealer installed awning arm bumpers, awning arms now extend and works fine. Bumpers assist in pushing the arms away from the trailer. Cheap and simple solution.
brianre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianre View Post
Dealer installed awning arm bumpers, awning arms now extend and works fine. Bumpers assist in pushing the arms away from the trailer. Cheap and simple solution.
Pictures please.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #46

Bumpers?

brianre,

Can you at least describe what the mysterious parts look like, part number and where they were placed.

I know for a fact my stealer will pronounce the awning working fine and do nothing again. The apparently don't read up on or don't receive tips from factory about "how to" repairs.

Extended mine just today again to dump rain water and it failed to leave the wall without pushing out the rear arm.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #47

Sounds like soft rubber bumpers with a deep depression in the center with a recessed screw hole. Can be small for chair leg protector or large for door (knob) stop. Object is to secure the bumper between the awning channel to squeeze the soft bumper and prevent the channels from springing together. Need to measure diameter and length for good fit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #48

Doesn't work

I have a small black rubber item described above. It came on the installed awning and doesn't seem to function as dreamed. Guess I'll try something with contact cement in order to move it if no results.

Funny the builder doesn't own up to this.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #49

9100 discontinued by Dometic?

Now my rear arm is bent as it was extended one day while trying to find solution to the original problem. Small gust of wind is all it took. www.dometic.com does not list the power awning as I just looked today. Campersworld still has some in stock and they are marked down. Looks to me like they were to weak to continue making them and onhand stock is all you'll get.

Now, how to replace with a manual 9000 or other brand. Never had a problem with the old one on 89 Holiday Rambler.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #50

Try Carefree, much more rugged I think. You can specify bolt centers and lots of colors and textures to choose.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #51

Rear arm replaced

After damage mentioned, I took trailer to dealer as state inspection and another item needed fixed. For the second time in years, extra $$$ insurance covered replacing the rear arms and dump valve attachment for sewer hose that broke trying to remove the cap the first time I needed it. Got tired of holding the hose to dump "stuff". This saved me over $1,100 according to the repair shop. WHEW!

No idea what original problem was as this set of arms look exactly like the original ones. Small black rubber assist bumper looks the same and is in the same spot as the original. This time, we ran it out and in a bunch of times at the shop before going home. I hope this fixes it.

Thanks to OC, I now have the kit to attach poles and bought a "Claw" to use as an anchor. Weather cooling now so will place the kit and locate my poles so I can clean the danged thing. Glad I store it at home.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
...Thanks to OC, I now have the kit to attach poles and bought a "Claw" to use as an anchor. Weather cooling now so will place the kit and locate my poles so I can clean the danged thing. Glad I store it at home.
We still have some attaching kits available.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #53

I know this is an old post but maybe someone can benefit from this reply. I am having the same problem with the awning unrolling instead of extending unless I gently encourage it and it then extends normally. I looked at it today and noticed that the aluminum cover has slid forward a few inches and is contacting the arm when it is retracted. When it stops raining I will get up there and see if I can push it back into position.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #54

Dometic Awning support is horrible

Their web site is not what I would call helpful. Searches couldn't help me. I called the support line and hold times were unbearable. When I wanted help they want model # and S/N. I have the model # but have no clue where to look for a serial number. On line and by phone I could not get that information.

So, now I hope someone can tell me how to lock the spring roller so I can safely replace the awning. The awning is on my Windjammer 3008W and is a Dometic "Power Patio Awning Model(S)895(X)(0)(X)(X).400(X). It is a 21' awning and I bought replacement Awning material that I located on Amazon.

I have changed the material on a non-powered awning before and found it easy to do. The power awning should not be a problem as long as I can safely secure the spring loaded roller. I just don't know for sure how to lock the roller and don't want to get hurt if it suddenly unwinds on me.

Any help would be much appreciated. So far I haven't found a YouTube video with the answer I am looking for.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalohunter View Post
Their web site is not what I would call helpful. Searches couldn't help me. I called the support line and hold times were unbearable. When I wanted help they want model # and S/N. I have the model # but have no clue where to look for a serial number. On line and by phone I could not get that information.

So, now I hope someone can tell me how to lock the spring roller so I can safely replace the awning. The awning is on my Windjammer 3008W and is a Dometic "Power Patio Awning Model(S)895(X)(0)(X)(X).400(X). It is a 21' awning and I bought replacement Awning material that I located on Amazon.

I have changed the material on a non-powered awning before and found it easy to do. The power awning should not be a problem as long as I can safely secure the spring loaded roller. I just don't know for sure how to lock the roller and don't want to get hurt if it suddenly unwinds on me.

Any help would be much appreciated. So far I haven't found a YouTube video with the answer I am looking for.
The installation manual for the Dometic 895 has instructions for pinning and unwinding the spring. See pages 6-7.

Dometic 895 Installation Manual

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #56

Smile Thank you

That is exactly what I needed.

Tags
awning, dometic