Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Dometic awning blowing fuses in retract

Hello All,

Newbie here... Wife and I just bought a Mini Lite 2509S last week in anticipation of a family reunion camping trip for the TG holiday. Arrived at campground, set up was a breeze... Awning extended fine, and retracted fine for the couple seconds that i hit retract to bring back to the ideal position.

Come Sunday, time to leave... awning won't retract when pressing switch, and interior lights won't turn on from main control panel. Check fuse... blown. Replace fuse, and hit extend... works fine. Hit retract again, fuse blows. This was all on Shore Power. Removed the two allen screws per dometics user guide to roll in the awning expecting a large amount of spring action to roll up (also per dometic user guide), but the thing didn't roll at all. I ended up rolling it up by hand (wasn't difficult at all, but it didn't roll by itself without me helping it). After reading a few related threads on the forum, i tried pressing the retract button again, but this time with the motor unplugged to see if the fuse still pops, and of course it does. The interior lights worked flawlessly with the new fuse, no dimming or flickering. This was on on-board battery power, fully charged. I haven't taken the control panel off to check the connections on the switch itself... that remains for another day.

Just curious if anyone has encountered anything similar, or may have an idea as to what the issue is? Unfortunately we live on the East Cost, but purchased the TT in Michigan (closest dealer who had this model in stock in time for TG)... I called a few of the local FR dealers (non-rockwood) who won't perform any warranty work unless it's a dometic issue and not a Rockwood issue, and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on whether it might be a dometic issue or a rockwood issue.

Thanks in advance!
longwellck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Team

this may be of interest
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wer-22745.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
the awning goes out ok but won't close up and blows the fuse it is possible there is a loose wire that is grounding out on the switch if not I would be looking at what could be holding the awning and not letting it close up Is the trailer good and level if not level it it could have been in a bind make sure the end supports are not locked in so the water drains to one side before closing, if you still can't find it. You will have to trace the wire to the awning it s probably pinched and is grounding on something.----Don't forget to disconnect the battery before taking the switch out of the wall and do not be hooked into shore power either . Also check to be sure the right amp fuse is in place good luck.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, fuse