Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Dometic Awning Delamination/Bubbles

Purchased my TT on July 2, 2012 & just noticed 4 bubbles showing up in the middle of my awning. My local dealer (where I purchased the TT) emailed pictures to Dometic but they denied the claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 cirles, 4th doesn't show.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	83591  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

I have the exact same thing on mine which is a 2012 model. I have been thinking about popping them and fill with a gel epoxy. Then compress them by rolling it up with a small piece of tape over the whole so it won't leak. It will only take 5 mins to set. But it would compress the area. Do you have any other thoughts then just replacing it? Just started this season. I really do not want to replace it just for the bubbles. It has to be two layers being the bubble appeared. And right forget Dometic they will do nothing to help.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Purchased my TT on July 2, 2012 & just noticed 4 bubbles showing up in the middle of my awning. My local dealer (where I purchased the TT) emailed pictures to Dometic but they denied the claim.
Will you be coming to the August Rally?

Dometic has been very accommodative there in the past; repairing/replacing as if it was still under warranty.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Dometic has been very accommodative there in the past; repairing/replacing as if it was still under warranty.
Herk, I needed 2 toppers replaced last year, they said they couldn't do it at the rally but sent the material to a dealer 1 month later after 2 emails, and I had to pay the labor to install the toppers. They said and I quote "we will not install them." FR got involved and they still refused to do it, and said I was lucky to get the awning material period. They said that the rail was not level, and FR said it was and put a level on it. the guy got mad and walked away..

Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Herk, I needed 2 toppers replaced last year, they said they couldn't do it at the rally but sent the material to a dealer 1 month later after 2 emails, and I had to pay the labor to install the toppers. They said and I quote "we will not install them." FR got involved and they still refused to do it, and said I was lucky to get the awning material period. They said that the rail was not level, and FR said it was and put a level on it. the guy got mad and walked away..
They sent me new power awning material as well (after some FR "arm twisting"); hoping they will install it at the Rally. If not, maybe the Flagstaff folks will help a fella out.

I have a friend who will help me if all else fails.
Does not look all that hard to replace.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

It's not really hard to do but it will take two people. It's a 15 min job for two people and a scaffold to walk on. It's only running it in two slots but it has to be pulled evenly. Hard to do with one person.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:

Maybe next year (I hope). Unfortunately DW has craft shows & I can't. Goshen is almost my backyard from where I grew up, on a farm North of Cromwell
Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
I got a nice surprise yesterday, Dometic is sending me new fabric.

Quote:
It's not really hard to do but it will take two people. It's a 15 min job for two people and a scaffold to walk on. It's only running it in two slots but it has to be pulled evenly. Hard to do with one person.
I'm a little confused here, maybe you could show me on my trailer. Honestly, I think I will wait until next year or until I can't stand it any more - whichever comes 1st.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No way it's a 15 minute job with 2 people. It takes that long to remove the screws in the rail, release the tension on the torsion spring, remove the torsion spring bracket, the motor bracket, remove the tube and slide the awning material out of the rail.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #10

I'm with you OC. cant fathom it being done even with 2 guys in 15 minutes.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No way it's a 15 minute job with 2 people. It takes that long to remove the screws in the rail, release the tension on the torsion spring, remove the torsion spring bracket, the motor bracket, remove the tube and slide the awning material out of the rail.
The Dometic tech at the Rally last year showed me how to do it.

Yep, 30 minutes tops BUT you do need 2 guys and either 2 ladders or 2 scaffolds. No need to release the tension; they use a long cotter key (or finish nail) to go all the way through the holes in the spring side of the cap when the awning is extended. The holes align with a hole in the spring spindle.

Literally the hardest part is removing the wall side rail screws and then tacking the material back in place correctly centered so it runs in and out without binding the arms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	83835  
Old 07-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The Dometic tech at the Rally last year showed me how to do it.

Yep, 30 minutes tops BUT you do need 2 guys and either 2 ladders or 2 scaffolds. No need to release the tension; they use a long cotter key (or finish nail) to go all the way through the holes in the spring side of the cap when the awning is extended. The holes align with a hole in the spring spindle.

Literally the hardest part is removing the wall side rail screws and then tacking the material back in place correctly centered so it runs in and out without binding the arms.
You still have to take an end cap off by drilling the rivets, etc.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
You still have to take an end cap off by drilling the rivets, etc.
If I was forced to use the torsion end, it would suck since the same rail was used for my awning topper (left slide in this photo).

Also need to watch out you don't tear the material on the arm wall attachment extrusions.

I attached "A" awning material change instruction (which were not included in the material send by Dometic but are NO LONGER available on their web site). While not the same as the AE 9100, it should give you an idea.

In fact their web site has almost NO "How To" information there any more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1056.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	83837   Click image for larger version

Name:	user37558_pic6808_1365341758.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	83838  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning Replacement Instructions.pdf (150.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
He said to use the motor end; but that is the easiest for me anyway.
I think that end was screwed on; but I will check today.

If I was forced to use the torsion end, it would suck since the same rail was used for my awning topper.
Both end caps on mine are riveted. Just checked.
BTW, the techs even borrowed my pop rivet gun and used my rivets when they replaced the motor at Goshen last year.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

With the tie downs, I can see how you can replace the material without removing the tube if you just pull the motor out about 3" and feed the material around the cap. It would be a little difficult, but possible with 2 knowledgeable people and 2 cans of silicone spray. The tube end would be the most difficult as you are feeding two cords into the tube at the same time.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

There are some helpful Youtube vids on this
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #17

Quote:
I really do not care what you think I know that Counrtyside repair did two toppers in 30 min. I was there watching and they did have a motorized scaffold. They did not have to unroll the tension spring they pinned it with a nail. I was out of there in 45 mins from the time I arrived. They do this all the time, that is there job. I really do not care what you believe these people do it for a living, what do I have do get an invoice to prove what they put down for labor?... PS: they never removed any rail at all, where is that out of?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
There are some helpful Youtube vids on this
Links please?
Unable to find one for the A&E (Dometic) 9100 Electric Awning...
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I really do not care what you think I know that Counrtyside repair did two toppers in 30 min. I was there watching and they did have a motorized scaffold. They did not have to unroll the tension spring they pinned it with a nail. I was out of there in 45 mins from the time I arrived. They do this all the time, that is there job. I really do not care what you believe these people do it for a living, what do I have do get an invoice to prove what they put down for labor?... PS: they never removed any rail at all, where is that out of?
There are two screws that peg the material to the rail. The rail is not removed and OC is not suggesting that it is.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
There are two screws that peg the material to the rail. The rail is not removed and OC is not suggesting that it is.
Herk then he shouldn't have posted this below.Literally the hardest part is removing the wall side rail screws and then tacking the material back in place correctly centered so it runs in and out without binding the arms. They did not remove any rail screws, they just removed 2 screws that go's through the fabric into the rail, but the rail stayed in place and was never removed.

Tags
awning, delamination, dometic