Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Dometic Awning - Fuse Popping

Sorry for re-opening the thread, but the forum won't let me append to the existing...

So new discovery on the blowing fuse front. Here is the run down.
  • start blowing fuses when I retract the awning... only blows when it just about reaches full retraction
  • troubleshoot the lines... all clear of shorts
  • replaced the switch, still blows on full retract
  • rolled out the awning for cleaning yesterday & then back in... fuse didn't blow
  • Difference this time is that it was just house power (no shore power)
  • extended and retracted several times without blowing the fuse

It seems that the motor is able to pull more current from the inverter than the battery.

Anyone else experience this?

So all that
ldnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just a quick fyi, when it says a thread Is to "old" to reply to it can still be replied to you just have to click the box that says you acknowledge it's an "old" thread.

That being said, your awning is 12 volt and an inverter would having nothing to do with your awning.

Inverters take 12v and make it 110v
Converters take 110v and make it 12v

With that being said neither a converter is not " on" when not plugged into shore power.

What amp fuse is it?

Most tt and 5th wheels don't even have inverters unless they have a residential fridge.

I have no idea what have since your campers not listed in your profile or your signature line.

How have you posted before with only one post to your credit?

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Just a quick fyi, when it says a thread Is to "old" to reply to it can still be replied to you just have to click the box that says you acknowledge it's an "old" thread.
Thank you for that. The forum software is similar to another site I frequent... I just clicked & didn't read it entirely.

Quote:
That being said, your awning is 12 volt and an inverter would having nothing to do with your awning.

Inverters take 12v and make it 110v.
Converters take 110v and make it 12v
Understand... mixed my words up.

Quote:
What amp fuse is it?
15 amp

Quote:
I have no idea what have since your campers not listed in your profile or your signature line.
Good point... thought I'd done that already. I added it.

2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 26WRB
Awning is a Dometic 9176L.

Quote:
How have you posted before with only one post to your credit
I'm not sure how you derived previous posts, this is indeed my first post on the forum. I've lurked for over a year tho

So just to be clear; the fuse only blows when on shore power, hence my comment about the motor potentially being able to pull more current through the converter than the battery.

Based on all the searches, I'm thinking motor is on its way out (& out of warranty as well )... just seeking additional thoughts from the forum.
ldnail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, fuse