Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Dometic Awning (Motor stopped working)

Motor stopped working, just clicks, followed directions by using battery still clicked only, check all voltage and ok. Removed two screws and awning did not retract like owners manual stated. I had to hand roll it up and zip tie it to up for travel on Monday. My only problem is I leave for my next camping trip next Saturday at a camp ground 400 miles away and I need to get this thing fixed in four days and I did not buy camper local. It's a 2014 Rockwood 8286.
jwmcbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Always Learning

I'd call Dometic directly. It's what I did with a toilet problem and they helped me get setup with a replacement toilet (not 4 days, but quick none the less). You might be able to get hooked up with a mobile tech wherever you're going to be camping at.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcbo View Post
Motor stopped working, just clicks, followed directions by using battery still clicked only, check all voltage and ok. Removed two screws and awning did not retract like owners manual stated. I had to hand roll it up and zip tie it to up for travel on Monday. My only problem is I leave for my next camping trip next Saturday at a camp ground 400 miles away and I need to get this thing fixed in four days and I did not buy camper local. It's a 2014 Rockwood 8286.
That sure sounds like a recent recall by Dometic, need to call them to check....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #4

Recall, call dometic and search the forum for info. My 30 day old rockwood awning motor was on the recall list.
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

This recall came out the very day I picked up my 2608WS. FR's manufactured between 2/9/2013 and 4/11/2013 are affected.
This is just a small shot of it, but it shows the manufacturing dat range and serial numbers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	31375  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetched View Post
Recall, call dometic and search the forum for info. My 30 day old rockwood awning motor was on the recall list.
Took me a while to get an appointment at the selling dealer for repairs, but quick turn-around once I got it in. Motor was replaced in two days.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

It's just a pain in the butt. We are having a great time at the lake, but at the same time wondering how I can get this repaired before Saturday. Does anyone think any dealer will repair it because of the recall. I think I could do it if they would send it to me.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcbo
It's just a pain in the butt. We are having a great time at the lake, but at the same time wondering how I can get this repaired before Saturday. Does anyone think any dealer will repair it because of the recall. I think I could do it if they would send it to me.
Since its a recall, might have it in stock, feeling lucky? Home repair will most likely void remaing warranty. If you must unbolt and slide out of roof retainer. Let the dealer put it back.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Dometic Corp. Supervisor

Send a message via Skype™ to ajmdom
Dear Customer: I am the supervisor in the recall center at Dometic for this awning motor recall. Please contact us at 888-447-0003, OPTION 1. We can process your order, find a mobile service center for you, and get a replacement order sent via overnight for the repair. We will need the S/N and Model # directly from the awning sticker and the VIN# of the coach it's installed on. Please call us as soon as possible so we can get this repaired for you so your trip is not delayed. Be sure to mention that your order is urgent when you call. If you have any further questions, please ask for me and I will be happy to help you. My name is Angie Manes. Thank you!
ajmdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

Thank you Amy, I contacted my local Dometic service center. They have my repairs approved and are replacing the recalled/broken awning motor. Luckily, I made it back home accident free. I hope everyone reads the recall list. I did not.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #11

Sorry Angie.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Dometic Corp. Supervisor

I am glad you were able to get the repair order in process. I have to advise you to please not drive the coach until that motor is repaired. The service tech. should come to you to do the replacement. Do you happen to have the S/N from the awning so I can look up your order and be sure it's processed quickly? If you prefer to call me, my number is 260-463-7625 and my name is Angie. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmdom View Post
Dear Customer: I am the supervisor in the recall center at Dometic for this awning motor recall. Please contact us at 888-447-0003, OPTION 1. We can process your order, find a mobile service center for you, and get a replacement order sent via overnight for the repair. We will need the S/N and Model # directly from the awning sticker and the VIN# of the coach it's installed on. Please call us as soon as possible so we can get this repaired for you so your trip is not delayed. Be sure to mention that your order is urgent when you call. If you have any further questions, please ask for me and I will be happy to help you. My name is Angie Manes. Thank you!
Hi Angie, looks like I am in the same boat. We leave Friday morning and awning is stuck out. I have attached a photo of the awning label. I tried calling the office but you are closed now. I will call again in the morning. In the mean time, should I just leave the awning out or try manual retraction? Thanks in advance for your reply.. Don

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3861365558.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	31581

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
Dometic Corp. Supervisor

dalford - Where is your RV parked right now? Please do not move it or do anything with the awning. If it is stuck out, it is best to just leave it at this point. Please call 888-447-0003, Prompt 1 and tell them you spoke to me and that you need to get a repair processed right away. Tell them that you are leaving on Friday and need the repair done by then. It is possible you will have to secure the awning for travel if we cannot get a repair technician out there in time (and that is likely). When you call in, you will be advised of that. If you are going to be gone for a long period of time, we can possibly have the repair done at the location you are traveling to since the repair will be done by a mobile technician anyway.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmdom View Post
dalford - Where is your RV parked right now? Please do not move it or do anything with the awning. If it is stuck out, it is best to just leave it at this point. Please call 888-447-0003, Prompt 1 and tell them you spoke to me and that you need to get a repair processed right away. Tell them that you are leaving on Friday and need the repair done by then. It is possible you will have to secure the awning for travel if we cannot get a repair technician out there in time (and that is likely). When you call in, you will be advised of that. If you are going to be gone for a long period of time, we can possibly have the repair done at the location you are traveling to since the repair will be done by a mobile technician anyway.
Just out of curiosity who are "you"?

Never mind I missed your earlier post.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #16

My experience with the recall is a positive. I contacted dometic last Thursday. The dealer called me Thursday night and said the parts should be here the first of the week. He called on tuesday and repair is scheduled for thurs am.
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #17

My repair is complete. Took less than 24 hours with shipping. I will make my trip Saturday. Thanks Dometic and Rome RV.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcbo View Post
My repair is complete. Took less than 24 hours with shipping. I will make my trip Saturday. Thanks Dometic and Rome RV.
Sweet!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Owner/Operator

I'm on day 16 since Dometic added mine to the Recall list and assigned a repair facility. Called them last week and they said they are still waiting for the motors. Going to call them again today, and then Dometic if the motors have not arrived.

Glad that others are getting faster response and repair.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Dometic Corp. Supervisor

RodeoGeorge - Please call me directly with the S/N from the awning and I can look up the status of your order for you. It should not take this long. We ship motors the same day the order is called in and they typically arrive within 5 days via UPS. The only thing I can think of is that the order wasn't called in immediately when it was received, but I do not really want to speculate. Please call me at 260-463-7625 (Angie Manes) and I will be happy to help you.