Old 06-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
And to do away with hard to get at fuses, you can get these at any auto parts storeClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1465664572713.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	110808

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 06-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54554wis View Post
Well, yes and no. I opened the fuse box, but didn't see any fuses labeled for the awning. We have 2 30 amp's, could it be on one of those (they're not labeled)? Not to sound like the newbie I am, but how can you tell if a fuse is good or bad?
You need to purchase a 12 volt test light or an ohm meter.....cheap at Walmart

Old 06-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

check the serial number on awning, Dometic has a recall on their awning motors. Mine stopped working 2104 rockwood mini lite. Awaiting replacement from factory. Check Dometic web site
Old 06-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

Well, fuses checked with multimeter are all good. Tried the pulling of the awning while holding down the extend switch, won't budge, both of us tried, but I will say that while I was up there, I could hear a click that sounded like it was coming from either the motor, or somewhere inside the retracted arm...I could feel the click while holding that front arm - not sure what that indicates.

As far as the serial numbers go, that's all well & good if the awning is extended. For whatever reason, Dometic chose to keep all the serial numbers hidden if the awning is retracted. This unit just came off the line mid-April. I would certainly hope that Forest River would not be installing awnings that are under recall (but you never know I guess).

It's mind-boggling for sure! Thank you all for some really great suggestions, we've learned a lot, and hopefully I'll be able to get back on this thread before too long and let everyone know what the resolution was.

Sherry
Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #15

There is usually whats called an LCI control board located somewhere in your trailer. It has fuses and relays that control different devices on your trailer. It is separate from the fuses in your converter. Mine have always been located behind an access panel held on with screws. My rear stab jacks would not work awhile back and this is where I found the blown fuse for it. On one trailer it was located right next to the water pump. Stellar idea for an electrical panel. You might give that a try. On my current trailer that's where my awning relay is located. Good luck.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #16

Thank you Stormrider151. We'll do some investigating first thing in the morning. The water pump and filter are located under a cabinet at the very front of the Roo (behind a screwed on panel), we'll check there first. There is also some ductwork and wiring under the booth benches, we'll be checking there as well. The saga continues....
Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #17

Since you were all so helpful with your ideas and suggestions on getting our awning extended, I wanted to give you an update.

I called the closest dealership with our problem, and the service guy suggested that it might be a stripped screw/motor issue and asked that we bring it in so they could extend it and have a look. The soonest he could get me in was this coming Wed.

Well, this past Monday we took the Roo out for a 3 nighter on Lake Superior. We had 30 amp service, so my husband said, "why don't we try to extend it, see what happens". I was totally skeptical, but lo and behold - the awning extended! Just to be sure, we unhooked from the shore power and tried again... No problem. We got home, working off the battery, we tried it again, and it extended without a problem.

I'm not sure what happened there for that couple of weeks, but all seems well now. I spoke with the dealer. He said he'd keep my appointment on the books, and that I should call him Monday just to verify that it's still OK.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, at least now we know what to look for should it happen again.

Sherry

Tags
awning, dometic