Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Door hard to latch

We have a 2018 Columbus 366RLC which we purchased in February this year. From day one the door is very hard to latch. We either have to slam it very hard or use two hands, one to hold the latch handle in the open position while using the other hand to pull the door tight against the frame.

Has anybody run into this situation and if so is there a fix for it? DH is getting very frustrated with it.

10Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
We have a 2018 Columbus 366RLC which we purchased in February this year. From day one the door is very hard to latch. We either have to slam it very hard or use two hands, one to hold the latch handle in the open position while using the other hand to pull the door tight against the frame.

Has anybody run into this situation and if so is there a fix for it? DH is getting very frustrated with it.
You second method except I use one hand, is the one I have used for most of our campers for 35 years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

Are your steps the original steps that came with your RV ?

We purchased the MORyde - Step Above steps for our 5th wheel. Because of the way they are installed, our door is hard to open and close at times.
rdv1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

Yes the steps are original and they are MORyde. It doesn't appear that they are causing it to bind. I suspect the cause may be the friction hinges that are on the door.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

Latch adjustment?

Quote:

Is there any way to adjust the striker plate (the part on the door frame that the latch goes into)? Post a picture.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

My door has been terrible to open/close sense Camping World had to take it off to install a new refrigerator! (an extra $100) I have attempted to adjust the door strike several times! They called after the frig install to get my opinion, said they could fix it if I would bring it back in, only problem was i was 200 miles away!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post
My door has been terrible to open/close sense Camping World had to take it off to install a new refrigerator! (an extra $100) I have attempted to adjust the door strike several times! They called after the frig install to get my opinion, said they could fix it if I would bring it back in, only problem was i was 200 miles away!
I wonder if the door was re-mounted too low or too high. When you think you're pulling it hard to close it, you're really lifting it up just enough for the latch tongue to enter the striker plate on the frame.

Two things to try:
  1. Tighten the door hinge screws. If they are loose, the door will sag and the latch won't align with the striker plate.
  2. Watch carefully as the latch approaches the striker plate. Can you see that it's too low (or too high)?
If the latch is lower than the striker plate, and the plate cannot be adjusted, you can put a sheet or two of cardboard under the hinge (between hinge and frame between hinge and door). This will lift the door slightly. Similar, if the latch tongue is too high, a shim on the top hinge will lower it.

Larry
Old 08-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2566.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	182922

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2567.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	182923
Larry-NC

The striker plate is as far forward as it will go. It feels like the hinge binds when the door is almost closed.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Hinge side?

Quote:
The striker plate is as far forward as it will go. It feels like the hinge binds when the door is almost closed.
Look closely at the hinge side as someone closes the door. Is the door hitting the weatherstripping?

Larry
Old 08-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #10

The striker plate is adjustable, and we have to move it occasionally, particularly when the leveling system torques the frame a bit on uneven ground. I extended the upper slot a bit by using a Dremel tool and I can always get it to latch.

RayJay14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door