Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Elect awning not operating

We own a 2016 vibe and our awning is not opening. Any suggestions for us...
Dllanclos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #2

do you own a volt-meter? If not then pick one up at a hardware store or Harbor Freight store for under $10. If at a hardware store ask for some basic help on how to work it... not very complicated for measuring voltage either AC or DC voltage.

This is the correct tool for troubleshooting an electrical issue which you likely have.

Start at the electrical connectors at the end of the run to the wiring at the awning motor on the arm of the awning. Are you getting 12 volts DC there when the switch is on?

If not then maybe the splice connection from the motor to the wiring running down the length of the arm is bad.

Of course you have tried looking at the 12V fuses in the trailer?

One rule of thumb is that wiring, unless physically damaged usually does not go bad, but connections on that wire often go bad.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

I just had the same issue. After testing all fuses including my inline fuses I researched how to manually open and close my make of awnong on youtube. Found a video and got my drill and a 7/16 socket and manually opened it 2 inches. I stopped after seeing lots of water, it was wrapped soaked. I just had to try the power button again and yes! It worked! The motor just wasn't strong enough to free it from its wet/tight position. Good luck with yours.
wings011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning