Old 06-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

DUNNC,

I realize that you have solved your problem with a pop rivet. This is not the correct way. The awning material has extra long rubber cords that are at the end of the fabric. These cords are in the grove, and should be cut to length to square the material on the roller. This is what keeps the material from shifting while in transit, and when the wind blows and the awning is out. You must remove the end caps, (dangerous as one of them is spring loaded), to cut the cords any, or in most cases, shift the material. If these cords hit the end caps, will be very hard to shift the material on the roller tube. Also, where the awning attaches to the camper, there will be screw on each end, down through the track, securing the fabric in the trailer channel. These aren't that hard to remove, and maybe the fabric can be shifted on the camper.

Now the reason I know this, I changed over 20 last year, as a a part time RV tech. I get called to change awning material, and repair tire damage, and most complicated electrical stuff.

While the pop rivet may work, it will also put a hole in the awning over time. I do realize it will be on the edge, but still a hole.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
DUNNC,

I realize that you have solved your problem with a pop rivet. This is not the correct way. The awning material has extra long rubber cords that are at the end of the fabric. These cords are in the grove, and should be cut to length to square the material on the roller. This is what keeps the material from shifting while in transit, and when the wind blows and the awning is out. You must remove the end caps, (dangerous as one of them is spring loaded), to cut the cords any, or in most cases, shift the material. If these cords hit the end caps, will be very hard to shift the material on the roller tube. Also, where the awning attaches to the camper, there will be screw on each end, down through the track, securing the fabric in the trailer channel. These aren't that hard to remove, and maybe the fabric can be shifted on the camper.

Now the reason I know this, I changed over 20 last year, as a a part time RV tech. I get called to change awning material, and repair tire damage, and most complicated electrical stuff.

While the pop rivet may work, it will also put a hole in the awning over time. I do realize it will be on the edge, but still a hole.
Of the 8 awnings I have owned, none of them had the cord cut to the proper length including our new 12 Flagstaff and they will not keep the material from shifting. As for drilling a hole in the hem of the awning, it is covered with the rivet and will not tear or be detrimental in anyway. The screws in the trailer groove should be left alone as the material is usually always centered on the arms there.

Bottom line, the OP can do it anyway he wants, just telling him the simple, fast, easy permanent solution.

He can also center the material on the roller and put a screw in the roller tube to hold the cord on both ends, but I have never had a hole propagate in the hem.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #13

"Now the reason I know this, I changed over 20 last year, as a a part time RV tech. I get called to change awning material, and repair tire damage, and most complicated electrical stuff."
---------------------------------------------
Nothing better than having a pro answer the questions!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
DUNNC,

I realize that you have solved your problem with a pop rivet. This is not the correct way. The awning material has extra long rubber cords that are at the end of the fabric. These cords are in the grove, and should be cut to length to square the material on the roller. This is what keeps the material from shifting while in transit, and when the wind blows and the awning is out... Now the reason I know this, I changed over 20 last year, as a a part time RV tech. I get called to change awning material, and repair tire damage, and most complicated electrical stuff.

If all this were correct and the cords were cut correctly, then it would still be centered, but it isn't. Nuff said.

Tags
awning