Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Question Entry Door Hard to Open

I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada. The entry door is very difficult to open. You have to push in with your thumb on the handle, while you're pulling the door latch. I have attempted to lube it and it helped but is still hard to open. I am thinking I need to make an adjustment but don't know where. Please Help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_124016.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	128146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_124024.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	128147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_124035.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	128148  
robby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby1 View Post
I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada. The entry door is very difficult to open. You have to push in with your thumb on the handle, while you're pulling the door latch. I have attempted to lube it and it helped but is still hard to open. I am thinking I need to make an adjustment but don't know where. Please Help...
Is it the door that's hard to open, or the door latch? It sounds like it's the door latch that is sticking?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #3

Sorry... the door latch is sticking
Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

I just have a hybrid TT and my entrance door sticks also... well at least for new persons trying to open it...

If you pull on the latch with much force the door won't open, but if you lightly flip out on the latch and try not to pull on the door, or use your other hand to push on the door while pulling the latch the door opens easily.

See photo below...

Lube the large rectangular square the door latch fits into on the door frame. If that does not help then try to lossen the top/bottom screws and move the latch toward the outside just a smidge... Finally use a file to remove some material from the outside edge of that rectangular spot where the arrow is pointing but use a light touch and try it often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	128154  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

My Grey Wolf doors would not open well unless the trailer was 100% level AT THE DOOR.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

I've physically 'torqued' twisted a few RV doors in my day too get them to open and close correctly. I don't recommend doing it unless you have a good understanding of how much twist and where is needed.

If you cannot adjust the latch / striker plate enough, that is the only alternative and I'd suggest letting an RV tech do it. A bit too much and you'll be worse off.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Many thanks to all for your input....rsdata your advice of moving the latch out a smidge and a light file was spot on and fixed the problem.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
rsdata your advice of moving the latch out a smidge and a light file was spot on and fixed the problem
hey
I got one right?

thx for the feedback

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #9

They had the latch side of the frame on our 2017 Roo all cobbed up. The reveal between frame and door on the latch side was 3/16" top and bottom and almost 1/2" at the latch. So much so that the screen door barely caught the stop and the main latch hardly engaged. I had to remove all the screws on that side and reset the frame straight. A lot of times these door issues can be traced back to the original installation.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
They had the latch side of the frame on our 2017 Roo all cobbed up. The reveal between frame and door on the latch side was 3/16" top and bottom and almost 1/2" at the latch. So much so that the screen door barely caught the stop and the main latch hardly engaged. I had to remove all the screws on that side and reset the frame straight. A lot of times these door issues can be traced back to the original installation.
Quality assembly as usual. Must be those Amish 'craftsmen'.....lol
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

My CC29RE had a sticky latch that was both difficult to open and close...Tried WD40 and other white lubs to no avail...Last fall I gave the latch mech a shot of "rust check" and now it works like a charm!!!! It is known to seep into all crevices....Can open and close with only my baby finger.....Sometimes the screws holding the two parts together are tightened to tight...Just another point....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

Twice we've had a different TriMark (60-650BLK) entry door lock fail trapping us inside our 2015 GT 364. Lots of threads addressing this issue. Company acts as if they never heard about it. On latest failure, they asked me to mail it back to them for examination, but never offered reimbursement...said that was the sellers responsibility. Best advice from a recent thread: always carry a screw driver inside the camper...and become familiar with how to use the emergency exit window if it ever comes to that.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #13
2019 Renegade Verona LE

Keep the two shoulder screws tight.

Our door would also stick sometimes. I noticed that the two post/shoulder screws (screw head top, solid post and threaded ends) keep getting loose. I finally added some Loctite Blue to the threads and the problem went away. I know of other that have had similar problems. Good Luck.
CaboSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #14

Anything New On the Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby1 View Post
I have the same problem with the latch sticking and have tried numerous solutions with little success.

I think it's a bad design. I would like to ask if anyone out there has found any better after-market door latch designs that are interchangeable with this standard design.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #15

Tighten the screws.

The Bargman entry latch on our Georgetown 270SSF works loose frequently making the door hard to open. Tightening the screws in the edge of the door always fixes this, albeit not for long. I've thought of using thread lock liquid on the screws...
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door