Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Papi

Foggy Windows - How to Clean Them?

I've read dozens of threads about dual pane windows fogging but nowhere have I read anything about tips on cleaning. Is it possible to separate, clean and reassemble? Is this something that can be done as a DIY? How about any videos on clearing fogged dualies? I have a couple that have been that way for a couple years now; not life and death but I sure would like to get some info on anything I could do to clear them up a bit. Thanks for any hints!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

you mean there is stuff between the panes of glass on dual pane windows? If that's the case then NO, you can't clean between them. That's one "unit" of glazing and the space between the panes is sealed. If there's discoloration or dirt then that seal has failed.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Papi

No. Not so much "stuff" but just a very translucent "haze" as if there was a slight fog between the panes. No moisture...it just looks like there is. Hazy...can't think of a better word to describe it.
now in same place.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
llr

Not easy but possible, i did it on an old class A.

I removed the window and boarded up the opening. Cut the adhesive that holds the glass together and separated them and cleaned the glass and the spacer. Re-assembled with clear silicon caulk , I left 2 small gaps and used canned air to spray in one gap to try to remove moisture before sealing both.

Since I did this I found that you can get rebuilding kits which I would do if needed again as the spacer is filled with desiccant and it would be much better to replace it.

I waited way to long to do this and the glass inside was actually etched, with rubbing compound and buffers I was able get it usable but not clear. I now have a wet diamond grinder that I would have tried with the finest grit/polish.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

Foggy Windows - How to Clean Them?

The seal is likely broken between the 2 pains of glass. Common problem on thermal windows in homes as well. There are places that repair home windows when this happens so you might want to call some local window places and see if they can reseal it for you. You will likely have to take the window out to do this job..
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Papi

Thanks for info

Yes, the seal is broken on the fogged windows. On one you can actually lift the bottom away just a hair and see the split/open areas.
So...what about these kits? I am not averse to pulling off a pane, cleaning both surfaces and reapplying but don't know what adhesive to use to reattach the panes together. Found several possibles but nothing for sure that would keep the outer pane from eventually just falling off...really bad news. I have been in contact with one company very close by but they do not do mobile work. They offered that they would work on just the window if I brought it in but I do not care to remove an entire window for treatment of one of the small pane sections affected. We live full time in the fiver now and taking it to them is not an option. I know this isn't rocket science but would love to know what adhesive works over the long term. You Tube videos were basically useless as I never found one dealing with frameless windows...except one 12 second one where the guy shows the separation on a frameless but nothing about repairing it. Sigh...
now in same place.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
llr

I doubt if this can be done without removing the window, I just boarded mine up while I was working on it.

I can't find the kists I was before but I did fine this one. https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

If you're handy you can do this yourself but you cannot make your own spacer or reuse a spacer or it will just fog again. The spacer contains desiccant to absorb any moisture. When insulated glass (IG) units fog, it's usually because the seal has broken and the desiccant has become saturated. Most residential and commercial IG units use hollow metal spacers filled with desiccant pellets. Since you probably don't have a bender and dies to form the radiused corners, you'll need to use a flexible spacer. Probably the best flexible spacer is the Edgetech Super Spacer. Search "super spacer" on Amazon. It's a silicone foam embedded with desiccant and has the adhesive on two sides. It comes in various widths so measure your spacer before separating the glass. The glass may also be etched slightly from the moisture so it may need to be cleaned with a water spot and stain remover such as CRL Sparkle (Amazon). Recess the outside edge of the spacer at least 1/16" and backfill with CRL 877 Super Spacer Sealant. Also on Amazon. Tool the edge with a plastic spatula.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

I had this happen on my MH, Took it to Sun Coast Designers in Hudson, FL they have a great repair service
bbbeebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

Foggy windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papicamper View Post
No. Not so much "stuff" but just a very translucent "haze" as if there was a slight fog between the panes. No moisture...it just looks like there is. Hazy...can't think of a better word to describe it.
I'm not a window expert, but I thought the "air" between the panes, was something other than plain air. Once the seal was broken, fog was eminent. If the seal is broken, isn't the insulating quality of the window compromised? Maybe a good glass shop can re-seal them?
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

+1 on Suncoast Designers. My Cedar Creek had 2 fogged windows. I was very satisfied with the work. They did have to replace 1 pane due to etching. Worth the piece of mind to have someone who specializes in this work take care of it so it lasts and no leak issues.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
I'm not a window expert, but I thought the "air" between the panes, was something other than plain air. Once the seal was broken, fog was eminent. If the seal is broken, isn't the insulating quality of the window compromised? Maybe a good glass shop can re-seal them?
Most, if not all RV IG units are air filled. Argon is rapidly gaining popularity in residential units and some commercial. Xenon and krypton are occasionally used. The gasses are used to reduce heat conduction, not fogging.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Papi

Thanks to all. I will most likely wait to do anything until next Fall/Winter. No way I can get a dry day down here anymore this year! I appreciate all comments! Love to go to Suncoast Designers but I can't move this beast. It can wait another few months.
now in same place.

Tags
window