Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Frame less window opening on its own.

Have one window that likes to unscrew a little while on the road. Then it will flap back and forth causing the arms to come out of the track on bottom of the window glass. Even had to replace the pot metal crank that I broke thinking It wasn't getting tight enough. Anybody else having this problem? Trailer is a Flagstaff 27 RLWS
bohnker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

I've got the Rockwood version...haven't had that issue. In fact, mine don't want to open sometimes due to being extremely tight. I'll go take a look at mine sometime today. There may be a way to just wrap the threads with teflon tape to give it more resistance.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Better yet, a dab of blue threadlocker.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

If you did that, you'd have to reapply it every time you wanted to open the window though.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Worse than that

We have a similar, but worse problem.

The window started flapping open while driving and the scissor-type attachment is broken. Perhaps we just lost the screw. not sure. Hard to see.

Had to use a bunjie cord to keep it closed -- and I had to great creative to accomplish that. Then that only worked for awhile.

Can't figure out how to get a replacement.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

We had the same problem (x2) on our 2015 27RLWS bedroom window. Finally took the second twist crank from the dealer and fixed it myself with machine screws and lock nuts, NOT RIVETS. And as a few others have said, try not to over tighten. It would nice if the windows had propout levers like the egress windows, but have 3-5 stop positions so a person could have multiple points on how wide a window could stay open, just a thought!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

Frameless window opening on own

This appears to be a common problem. There is another thread regarding it. Mine came open at 65 mph on I80. The ends of the crank piece were lost. Had to replace the crank arms. Dealer got me the part for $20 less than FR quoted me (the crank we have a 9.5” part number 10-19668A /60.40
The knob is 10-19627A /2.00}. Drilled the rivets out and used stainless steel bolts and lock nuts per the advice of another poster. He pointed out that he used a set of vice grips on the knob to keep the window closed, since replacing the part wasn't enough. I have attached a picture of my solution. Hoping it works. I won't know until back on the road in the spring. Two .97 clamps from WalMart. I have also attached pictures of the crank arms without the window ends, and my temporary solution. Duct tape on the outside didn't work for crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clamps.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	124537   Click image for larger version

Name:	crank arms.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	124539   Click image for larger version

Name:	bungee.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	124540  
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Have you tried contacting Lippert Components (LCI) directly and explain to them what you need? I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a new assembly via UPS "no charge"!
It's worth a try!!!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

frameless window opening

This has apparently become a common problem on Forest River products. Especially at the front end of the trailer, and where there is nothing to break up the air flow to the window along the side. FR must be well aware of this by now and should be looking at a recall. But that is highly unlikely.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Ran into this same issue but mine had a mechanism that flopped around and appeared to be broken compared to other windows in camper. See this previous post:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9s-118135.html

Since we had it repaired, the window has not reopened again but we also stopped traveling with the roof vent open as well. Some posters think this may be related in some manner. I will be towing with vent open next season just to see if it happens again.

I will try the Walmart clamps suggested above as a backup repair if it opens up again some day.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #11

Maybe it's a long shot but in as much as it's off time, why can't you pull the window entirely and replace it with a radius torque window of the same size? That to me seems to be the ultimate cure.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Birdieman

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Micro LIte 19 FBRS and have had this happen to the large frameless bedroom window twice. I have had to have the window hardware replaced both times. My dealer has been good about ordering in the replacement hardware and doing the repair work as my trailer is still under warranty.
Birdieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

Thanks for all the reply's. I was able to replace the crank under warranty but it will still come loose when on the road. Had to duck tape the window closed from the outside earlier this year on a 5,000 mile trip. Thinking I might try the vise grip idea for a temporary fix.
On a side note, just installed a Propride hitch today that I picked-up off Craigslist and WOW what a difference. Works as advertised
bohnker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

bohnkers you are going to LOVE pulling your trailer with the new hitch. Congratulations! I have a Hensley and these hitches change your life for the better. The cost is insignificant when compared to the peace of mind experienced. Best regards.
To all other forum members, I'm sorry to have hijacked the thread.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #15

I am having the same problem with our Rockwood 2703WS, window just works its way open. I keep looking for a solution but will try the clamps in the meantime.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #16

I found this on Lippert site. I am going to write customer service and see if they have a solution.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...eplacement.pdf
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, window