Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Frameless Window Crank Failures

So we were 2000 miles from home and the front bedroom window crank was broke. I think the high crosswinds got flexing the window and it eventually broke. I cant see it from my passenger side mirror as the window is blocked or behind the awning arm. We did not notice till as the blind was closed and not notice till we went to bed and it sounded like the window was open. Not sure how much banging open and closed it did on the road but nothing got damaged other than the crank itself. Tywrapped it shut and we can got it home that way. If you back off some of the frames mounting screws From the inside I managed to put a tyrap around the arm over the frame and to the screws.
Any ideas where to get these cranks? The old one will have to have the rivets drilled out but that is not a problem.

I tried to inquire to the following thread which was closed and is maybe why I did not get any response so I will start a new topic. I did include a link to the old topic and not sure if Finster is still around but he had some wisdom in this repair. I tried to see if the reference replacements where available from Pelland as reference but no luck. I may have to go to my dealer and see if he can order them from F.R. I stole Finster's pics to post here as it shows what I need.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-133658-5.html
Attached Images

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

X2.
The little wheel at the end of the arm broke on me. I figure I can drill out the rivet and machine (was going to 3d print on an objet, but that job went away...) a new one and use a tiny screw instead of the rivet. But arg, time consuming.

I'd love to get a new assembly, as shown, then fix my original one "offline".
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

These are called torque windows. Pelland Enterprises carries replacement parts for several manufacturers.

https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Torque-Window-Parts
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
These are called torque windows. Pelland Enterprises carries replacement parts for several manufacturers.

If mines the $25 one, sweet.
If it's $53, maybe I'll try harder to just fix it ... Haha.

Thanks for the info. VERY useful
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
If mines the $25 one, sweet.
If it's $53, maybe I'll try harder to just fix it ... Haha.

Thanks for the info. VERY useful
I think the dual-arm operators are all the same. Depending on how handy you are, you could buy the cheapest one and modify or swap the arms.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post

Thank you. This will help. I need to go out to the trailer and measure it.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #7

After replacing the arms as detailed in Finsters thread, I still apply the spring clamps as shown in attached thread comment #7 as a safety measure:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wn-121576.html
I still don't understand why this one window has given us trouble and crank has needed replacing twice. I keep a spare mechanism in my toolkit if needed again someday. Traveling with roof vent open or closed has not made a difference.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

The fix I use is to duct tape the knob on the inside so that it cannot turn. This is annoying but has worked for me. It seam as long as the knob cannot turn there in no issue.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Interesting. This happened to the window over our stove last year. I reported it as one of my two issues at the Goshen rally. They replaced the entire window!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, window