Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Front automotive window on 2104S

We have had our Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S for less than 2 months. Only driven from dealer to storage. When we went to load stuff for camping for this season, we noticed that the front automotive glass was no longer against the camper, with 3/4" gaps most of the way around. It's barely hanging on by some exremely overstretched adhesive. Is this a known problem or have any of you had this happen? The dealership is ordering the same piece of glass, so my concern is this will just happen again and again if the fit isn't right. It looks like nothing else holds it to the camper except adhesive.
Jbrantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

Not to burst your bubble, but the only thing holding the windshield on your car is most likely adhesive as well. With that being said, I'm no fan of the windshield. At some point it's gonna take a rock and crack. How much will a replacement be? Will one even be available? It's not gonna be like an automotive windshield where any glass place in the country will be able to just order one.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Understood that my car windshield is attached with an adhesive, but it still sits in a track with a rubber seal. The RV window does not. This is 100% vertical, no track, no clips.
Jbrantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
llr

As long as the glass isn't broke a mobile glass service should be able to remount it, probably better then the dealer or factory, you would need to check with FR if you want reimbursement for it.

some cars may sit in a track with a rubber seal still but its been awhile since I have seen one.

I have not heard of one falling out before. I have heard of a few breaking from being too large for the opening and not enough space for movement. and a few regular breakages.

From the chips around my windshield I have to assume it has taken a number of hits and no glass damage so far. It could take awhile to get replacements if it breaks but a windshield break is not likely it interrupt a trip due to the laminated glass.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but the only thing holding the windshield on your car is most likely adhesive as well. With that being said, I'm no fan of the windshield. At some point it's gonna take a rock and crack. How much will a replacement be? Will one even be available? It's not gonna be like an automotive windshield where any glass place in the country will be able to just order one.
LOL, rant much?
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
As long as the glass isn't broke a mobile glass service should be able to remount it, probably better then the dealer or factory, you would need to check with FR if you want reimbursement for it.

some cars may sit in a track with a rubber seal still but its been awhile since I have seen one.

I have not heard of one falling out before. I have heard of a few breaking from being too large for the opening and not enough space for movement. and a few regular breakages.

From the chips around my windshield I have to assume it has taken a number of hits and no glass damage so far. It could take awhile to get replacements if it breaks but a windshield break is not likely it interrupt a trip due to the laminated glass.
This ^^^
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson15 View Post
LOL, rant much?

What? Offend easily?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Is this the flat or the curved windshield? They changed to the curve mid-year 2018 and I think they went to a different mounting system. I have the flat windshield on my 19fbs/1909s and was wondering if I should upgrade to the new design. We've been considering the 2109s.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #9

Yes this is a problem , my front window fell out right to the ground. Brand new 2017 2104s Check my post dated 09-20-2017 for pictures. Has since been repaired seems ok.
jcolella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #10

Originally Posted by dustman_stx:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson15 View Post
LOL, rant much?
I don’t think this comes anywhere near to being a rant, rather, a very good, accurate and informative post. It made me think about what I would do if I owned this trailer.

If it was my plan to keep this trailer for more than a couple of years, I would make the investment of purchasing and storing a replacement windshield. Most of us plan ahead and have things we might need one day for our particular RV, so if I owned one of these, a windshield would be one of those things I have stashed-away.

Bruce

Tags
210, window