Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Front window cover supports bent

Our 2012 Rockwood 2701SS has a front window with an external shade that can be unclipped, lifted and held in place by two supports (one on each side)

During our last trip of the season we encountered cold weather over the last night and on the morning of departure day. I guess it was the cold, but even after loosening the support wing nuts the shade was jammed open. I tried to be gentle but the supports are aluminum channel and before I knew it I had bent them both. The only way to get home was to drill out the rivets that attach the supports to the cover (once again I was glad I carry so many tools with me).

Anyone else faced this problem? I'll be looking for replacement parts - factory or improved.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Nothing, huh?

I will have to decide whether to repair them (if it's possible), replace them with stock parts (if I can find them) or something else... light-duty gas struts come to mind, or maybe something I fab myself.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Check the entry door gas shocks, or inside overhead cabinet gas shocks
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check the entry door gas shocks, or inside overhead cabinet gas shocks
Thanks Bob,

The dealer is ordering me some new ones... Apparently the proper term is rock guard arms and they're not especially expensive. The hard part will be removing the old rivet and installing a new fastener. I'm thinking of JB welding a nut to the outside of the window frame and using a bolt.

Still thinking about gas struts though...
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Piece of cake!...Machine screw and nut would work ok if........use stainless, and a nylock nut....that way once the screw and nut are adjusted proper, not tight, they will stay adjusted
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Front window cover supports bent

Had some what the same problem with our rock guard on our Rockwood 2608ws the difference was the wind caught ours on one of our trips and bent the support arms. I had to bend back in order to close the guard. I ordered a whole new rock guard shield from FR and had it delivered to my home. And notified my insurance company they recommended a repair facility and covered the cost of new shield decals and installation. The cost of new shield from FR. $300.00. I would check with your. insurance to see if they would cover a new one with support arms already attached. By having it shipped to my house and when it arrived in a week from FR made appointment to get repaired and I had our TT back in 3 hours the dealer didn't have for weeks waiting for parts and repair time.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, cover, window