Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Goofy Awning Question?

Most of the time when I roll up the awning it rolls up a little crooked and I have to unroll it, pull the fabric sideways through the groove and re-roll. It usually takes me a few trys to get it centered up so the arms will fit together. Is there a permanent fix for this? I hate looking like the guy who doesn't know how the awning works at the campground.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Locate the awning fabric in the correct place and add a very small sheet metal screw to one end where the rubber cord sticks out. This will prevent the material from moving out of position.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Does this screw just go into the groove where the fabric comes out of the roller? I don't remember seeing a rubber cord but I'll look when I have it out next. That may be a while though, Winter sucks
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

Sounds like maybe the "sheet" wasn't cut square.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
Sounds like maybe the "sheet" wasn't cut square.
The first several times we used it I had no problems. My parents have pretty much the same awning and they don't experience problems. It's nothing I can't deal with, just a minor PITA!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Yup !! Same issue here, and it's a two-person job to re-adjust it, one to relieve the tension by slightly lifting the awning tube and one to adjust the position. Not a warranty item either.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There are 4 rubber pieces, one at each end of the of the fabric, two in the tube, and two in the trailer rail. The ones in the trailer rail should have a small screw securing them to the rail, so the fabric will not slip on the trailer side. The ones in the tube, should be touching the end caps, so the fabric can not slide in the tube.

For alignment, don't mess with caps on the tube. They are installed with steel rivets and must be put back that way. On a warm day, unroll your awning for a an hour or so. Now roll it up, and see which way it is off. Take the crews out of the track on the camper, and see if you can slide the fabric. ( there may be sealer in the tack making this difficult.) Roll, and unroll a few times. If this works, reinstall the screws in the track, and you are done. If this still doesn't work, you can loosen the two bolts at the top mount for the awning arms, and slide them a little, the bolt hols are slotted left and right.Hopefully you can get it aligned up and rolling straight. Don't forget to tighten everything back up.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning