Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
has anyone replaced the round awning tube?

the round tube that the awning rolls on recently got bent on my wolfpack. has anyone ever replaced one of these? im scared to see whats inside the tube lol.

2006 Cherokee Wolfpack 295WP - 2 Interstate U2200 6v, 1500w inverter, clear lens LED clearance and tails, Starlight Revolution 300 lumen LEDs EVERYWHERE!

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
You are going to have to replace the tube. If the fabric isn't torn, or won't be torn trying to remove it from the tube, it can be reused. You will need a few helping hands in doing this...I have helped in replacing both the tube and the fabric a few times already.

Ed & Laureen
2005 F-250 4X4 SD 6.0 Powerstroke
2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 285wp (toy hauler version)
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Yep...just ordered the new parts. Mine actually broke in half. Fairly easy deal. go here: RV Awning Repair
The tube holds 2 rods with springs. You will need to extend awning and unwind springs. Then remove rivets from end caps to remove rods. Slide tube from awning fabric.
I used channel locks with a bit of rubber on the rods so as not to scratch it.

Good luck, and remember its only a learning experience.
Walt-N-Terry Sanford
03 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
08 Rockwood 8317
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
You can lock the awning, so you don't have to unroll it before removal. Failure to lock, it, even after removal, could cause injury. Not sure if a new tube will come with the spring or not. Also awning will have some screws through the track to keep it from moving, and some Allen screws in the end of the tube to prevent also. You will need STEEL pop rivets to put back in the end, after you drill the old rivets out. This will require a heavy duty rivet gun, not a hand squeeze type. You will need at least one other strong person, two would be better. For the rest of the story, send me a pm and I'll fill in the gaps. If enough interest, I can take some pics of what things are on mine, and maybe someone can make a sticky, but will take a few days.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Head Rambler
You should get an instruction sheet with the new roller that tells you how many turns to tension the spring based on the awning size and model. The biggest problem we have had is trying to get the spline bead in the fabric. You'll be in good shape if you don't have to do that. It takes at least two people and when removing and reinstalling it on the camper three is much better.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote