Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Hatch leak

Not sure what to do about this one - after a couple bad storms and over 3" of rain I discovered quite a bit of water in the front pass through storage. It was worse on the street side so I crawled in the hole and had my son hit it with the garden hose. I discovered water coming in at the bottom of the hatch frame. Inspecting the top I discovered the opening was cut a bit too large and one of the mounting screws was hitting more air than anything else. (Sorry - no pic and I don't want to crawl in there again to take one - almost didn't get out!) Examining the outside I found a hairline crack in the silicone in one corner. I have a feeling if I recaulk it will just open up again and a permanent fix would be to pull the hatch and move it up half an inch and drill new mounting holes. Ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

I actually discovered a gap at both top corners. I sealed them both with some silicone and after a couple very heavy rainstorms all is dry. I am glad I found the leak, still not sure what a permanent solution is. I think I will try to get some pics and send them to Forest River. My warranty is up but hopefully they can offer a solution.