Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When plugged in to shore power your converter will run awning and 12v items.
ONLY if converter is working !

You don't have year make or model in your signature line so its hard to give you ideas as we have no ideas of age .

Have you checked voltage at the motor yet ? voltage at switch ?

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ok, then take it to a dealer if your mind is made up. You ask for help but don't want to trouble shoot.
That is why I am on this forum asking for help, I don't want to take it to the dealer if I can help it. I think you are jumping the gun Coot.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

You don't have year make or model in your signature line so its hard to give you ideas as we have no ideas of age .

turbs
2014 xlr27hfs toyhauler with a Dometic power awning
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
10x

Quote:

turbs
Brand new xlr 27hfs toyhauler, I have only had it home 3 days in a month since I bought it. I hope this FR product is not a piece of crap. This is the unit I posted about the ac problem in the xlr forum. I just picked it up yesterday after the ac problem was fixed, now this! Needly to say I am pissed off. It is an 80 mile trip to take it back to dealer.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
That is why I am on this forum asking for help, I don't want to take it to the dealer if I can help it. I think you are jumping the gun Coot.
Not jumping the gun, we've suggested things to check and you keep saying something is broken. To check voltage to the motor it will take two people unless you have a remote. If you have a remote, that may be the problem also.
I added a remote and if I don't press the remote hard enough it will click the motor also and do nothing.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #26

Quote:

turbs
Only if the Battery is connected and good. At least on mine
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not jumping the gun, we've suggested things to check and you keep saying something is broken. To check voltage to the motor it will take two people unless you have a remote. If you have a remote, that may be the problem also.
I only suggested something was broke once
post #16. My wife is helping me. I have 12 volts at motor when switch is pressed post #20. I posted that earlier. I dont have a remote, I only have had this 3 days and have yet to install one.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

I would pull the switch and try jumping the wires to activate. Switch might be defective and not holding 12v when a load is applied.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
10x

Thanks for the suggestions, I will get it figured out. I am sorry, if I bothered some folks.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #30

Quote:
I have a 2014 xlr27hfs toyhauler with a Dometic power awning. The awning stopped working. I hear clicking sound outside by the motor when I press the switch but it does not move. Checked the fuses OK. Is there something I should check before I take it back for service? It is 80 mile trip to the dealer. Thanks
10X,
We're having the same issue with the same awning on our 2014 Rockwood 3008W Windjammer. Dealer's service department said it sounds like a bad motor. Going into the dealership for warranty next week.

Good luck with yours.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
10X,
We're having the same issue with the same awning on our 2014 Rockwood 3008W Windjammer. Dealer's service department said it sounds like a bad motor. Going into the dealership for warranty next week.

Good luck with yours.
I think the same thing on mine. I isolated the motor and powered it with another 12v source and all it does is click. Gonna hook it up and drag it back again.
Thanks Capt.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #32

I would tie the arms of the awning before trying to take it back. If you can unroll the awning the wind might unroll it when traveling down the highway. You are right you should not be able to unroll the awning by hand.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I will get it figured out. I am sorry, if I bothered some folks.
You have nothing to be sorry about. We are sorry some people on these boards would rather preach than help. I hope your dealer gets it fixed quickly.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #34

If it rolls out that easy you need to stop the roller from turning before travel. Secuering the arms will not stop the roller from turning. Tape the leading edge of the roll also. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If it rolls out that easy you need to stop the roller from turning before travel. Secuering the arms will not stop the roller from turning. Tape the leading edge of the roll also. Youroo!!
If you have the strap for manual retracting, I would feed it in the slot and tie the end down to the bottom of the arms. I drilled a hole in the end and threaded it and put a bolt and a tab on the bolt and hook a tie rod down under the arm on the motor end. Use it all the time while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alum tab, 3-8 x 1-2 ss bolt, washer & nyloc nut.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	29655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning lock top close up.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	29656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom hook unlatched.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	29657  
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #36

When I picked up my trailer from the dealer the other day we went over the procedure to retract the awning in case the motor died. He mentioned there is a set screw by the motor that needs to be removed to disengage the awning from the motor allowing you to manually roll the awning. It sounds like you should check to see if the set screw has come loose or fallen out. If the motor is turning an not engaged that might be why you would hear the clicking noise.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
When I picked up my trailer from the dealer the other day we went over the procedure to retract the awning in case the motor died. He mentioned there is a set screw by the motor that needs to be removed to disengage the awning from the motor allowing you to manually roll the awning. It sounds like you should check to see if the set screw has come loose or fallen out. If the motor is turning an not engaged that might be why you would hear the clicking noise.
But the OP said he could unroll the awning with no resistance. It is like the spring inside the awning is broken. But why that wouldn't allow the motor to function is doubtful. Could he have two failures at once? Definitely sounds like time for the dealer to get involved.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
But the OP said he could unroll the awning with no resistance. It is like the spring inside the awning is broken. But why that wouldn't allow the motor to function is doubtful. Could he have two failures at once? Definitely sounds like time for the dealer to get involved.
According to the dealer there is no spring inside the awning, that what allows the awning to be used manually. If there was a spring inside the awning it would fight the motor when unrolling the awning. Therefore if the set screw was removed it would not have an resistance. I just went out and check my awning and I cannot move it manually when the set screw is in place but I can when I remove the screw.

Correction, I just read the owners manual and my dealer was mistaken, It says there is a spring inside.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
There is very little torsion on the spring when in the stow position. It gradually increases to max when fully deployed. It is strictly an assist spring for helping the motor retract the awning. I doubt he is unrolling it far enough for the torsion spring to offer much resistance.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
According to the dealer there is no spring inside the awning, that what allows the awning to be used manually. If there was a spring inside the awning it would fight the motor when unrolling the awning. Therefore if the set screw was removed it would not have an resistance. I just went out and check my awning and I cannot move it manually when the set screw is in place but I can when I remove the screw.
Word of caution, do not take the end off opposite the motor without having a firm grip on it especially if the awning is deployed. I guarantee it will spin violently and break something.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 Power Awning User Guide.pdf (394.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Awning Replacement Instructions.pdf (145.6 KB, 60 views)