Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Help with repairing crack around window

hile cleaning the camper I noticed what appeared to be a crack in my gelcoat around the top of the rear window. I couldnt get a good look at it so after dragging the ladder over and checking it out, it appears it's maybe a little worse than a crack.
Could I get some advice\suggestions for what I should do with this? My initial thought is to fill it with something to seal it, just not sure what.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

You're not going to like this but: IMO you will have to remove that window so you can tell just how much damage you have. As far as reinforcing it structurally, I don't know of any way you can. I have this type outer covering on my unit and there are two (2) cracks below the slide-out. I've been told by people who know that there is no way to repair these cracks. But--an older friend of mine made cabinets for years and he has looked at this. He believes, and I'm going to let him try, that he can place Formica over a large area which will also contain the cracks. He uses a heat gun to warm up the Formica so both of the materials are warmed before putting the glue on. I have nothing to lose and I trust him. Report coming later.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote