Old 05-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Commercial Member

How do I adjust Dometic awning

Here is our electric awing fully extended.

I would sometimes like to tilt the awning so the outer end is lower. -Drain water and better shade.

For some reason there is no adjustment possible as the lower arms are riveted together.

Thumb screw serves no purpose other than to rattle and make noise. I asked a Dometic rep at an FMCA event but he had no clue. Anything bad happen if I remove the rivet?
My previous Dometic awning was manual, had no rivet and was nice and adjustable.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #2

Should be able to loosen that whee and pull the awning down on that side then tighten the wheel back up to hold it tilted down.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Lower arms should slide into each other. I believe the rivet just holds them in. Grab the main awning arm and pull down, then tighten the nut.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Nope. Rivet goes completely through both the outer (black) and inner (aluminum) arms. Both front and rear arms.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 05-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #5

Can you take a picture from the under side where the knob wheel is?
Old 05-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

It has to move somehow unless they goofed building it. I see you have shocks on it and the knob wheels like mine so that tells me it moves.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

I just went out and pulled mine down and tightened that same nut and it worked, mine has a piece inside the tube and it tightens it down
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Can you take a picture from the under side where the knob wheel is?

Sorry it is in storage. Underside has simple rounded large rivet head that looks a bit like carriage bolt head. Black hand nuts are completely loose and no movement between the two arms is possible.

I believe that my previous awning might have had a rivet but that was only to prevent the arms from separating i.e. limiting the extension of the two arms.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 05-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themounties View Post
I just went out and pulled mine down and tightened that same nut and it worked, mine has a piece inside the tube and it tightens it down
Yup The nut can be tightened with a threaded piece inside the aluminum arm but no movement is possible with the rivet going through the bottom of the aluminum arm.

I can't find anything in writing from Dometic or Coachmen or FR that says anything about adjusting arms.

I have 1 month on warranty so time is running out.
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

The rivet should be a stop for the silver tubing. It's tough but that silver tubing pushes up into the black tubing. You then tighten it. The first time I tried I was the way thinking it was broke. It will take some force as you are pushing against the shocks. If your still really worried about unhook the shock and then its the weight of the frame and material you have to deal with.

Tags
awning, dometic