Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Interior Screen Door Latch

I recently bought a new Flagstaff Micro-Lite 23LB. When I got it home, I found the inside screen door latch was broken. Apparently this is a new type of latch because I can't find any replacements anywhere. I contacted my dealer and sent them a photo of the broken latch. He forward the photo to Forest River. That was a week ago and I've heard nothing since. I know from experience it's the little things that usually take the longest to resolve. It's a real easy fix (two screws and a pinch pin.) I don't mind spending a few bucks to order one and fix it myself and have it ready for the coming weekend camping trip. I'm posting two photos of the part that's broken. My question is: has anyone else had this issue and does anyone recognize the markings or company brand, that's molded on the latch face on the second photo, or the company that makes this latch?

https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatkinsGlenCamper View Post
My question is: has anyone else had this issue and does anyone recognize the markings or company brand, that's molded on the latch face on the second photo, or the company that makes this latch?
That's an Atwood logo. (Make Water Heaters, Furnaces, etc.) I didn't realize they were making this type of equipment.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Jack of All Trades

Do a search for Atwood Screen Door Latch.

Also Excel

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I had a sneaking suspicion that was an Atwood logo but wasn't sure because I couldn't find anything they made that was like my latch. I did another search on Atwood's products and still found nothing like the latch on my Micro-Lite. I may try fabricating one out of aluminum which will last a whole lot longer than the plastic junk they make today.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

First thing this morning, I started on making an inside latch mechanism. After a few hours I now have a inside screen door latch that works. I found a chrome handle, I had in a "parts" box, but not sure what it was from or used for and it fit without hitting the door jam. I searched for a couple of hours on the net and still haven't found a screen door latch made by Atwood that looks like the one that came with my Micro-Lite. Will know more tomorrow (maybe) when I call my dealer (who is also an Atwood dealer.)

The original, broken, latch from inside my RV.

The new latch handle and "trip shaft" I put together this morning.

Another angle.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Wow, good machining. It should last a few thousand laps....errr miles.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Atwood screen door latch

We had a similar experience. The same latch broke in our new Roo 21ss and we spent a lot of time looking for a replacement online with no luck. I then got directly in touch with Atwood and they were very helpful - they are sending a replacement a couple of days after I got in touch.
Vansleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

Vansleak, thanks for the info. I just called my dealer today and they have the latch on order and it should be in any day now. I asked them to mail it directly to me to save a 90 mile round trip for a $6.00 product. Other than some of the screening working out of edges on the screen door, everything has worked well on my Micro-Lite.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Ours was broken on our 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS the day we took delivery. Had to trek to the dealer today on other issues. I took the broken piece with me. The dealer had them in stock and gave me a new one no questions. Before I installed it I sanded the rub surface smooth and put a little grease on it so it wouldn't bind. Seems to be working fine now but it is a flimsy design.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #10

Screen door latch broke

I am glad that I have found this forum as my interior screen door latch broke on my 2013 Rockwood Roo 21SS. I cannot find the same latch anywhere so I will take the suggestions and will check out the Atwood site to see what I can find.

My screen door is very tight and the metal frame is bent and I think that is why it snapped off in my hands.
verrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #11

Noticed the door latches were very hard to open tonight on our TT. Had my husband adjusting them before they broke off. Very cheap handle.
Days Camped 2015 - 20
Days Camped 2016 - 12
��
NKARENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

Ours just snapped off this weekend. Took off the paddle and looked inside... Very flimsy design. I emailed FR this morning and Sheri responded with a part number... Atwood #10-15296A... At the tune of $19.20!!!!!!

Can any of you guys verify the part number? I think I'll call Atwood direct as well.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

On about June 21, 2013, 7 days after I bought my camper, I spoke to the Forest River warranty guy on the phone when I ordered a 2nd year warranty form. I mentioned my latch issue and he looked at their records and told me Forest River had given approval to my dealer to replace the latch at no cost to me.

Today I called my dealer for the 4th time (08-09-2013) and they told me the latch was supposed to be in on July 24 (the last time I had called), but that all parts they have been ordering from Forest River were about 2 weeks behind in shipping. I then told the dealer I had spoken to the Forest River warranty guy and that he told me he had given approval for my dealer to order a replacement latch. The dealer then told me they couldn't order directly through Atwood, that all warranty replacement parts had to come from Forest River. And get this... my dealer is listed as a Atwood dealer. I'm about running out of patience as this has been an on going issue since I took delivery of my new camper on June 15, 2013. I'm starting to feel like a dog chasing it's tail.

According to a previous post above, if the cost of $19.20 for that small piece of plastic is right, that's completely ridiculous. I guess I'll keep my jury rigged latch for now..at least it still works.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

Well, I finally caught my tail. A new latch arrived today (08-12-2013) by UPS. Below is a photo of it in the plastic bag it came in. I'll give my dealer and Forest River credit as they came through with their promise even though it took a little longer than expected. I now appreciate the old saying: "Better late than never".

Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatkinsGlenCamper View Post
Well, I finally caught my tail. A new latch arrived today (08-12-2013) by UPS. Below is a photo of it in the plastic bag it came in. I'll give my dealer and Forest River credit as they came through with their promise even though it took a little longer than expected. I now appreciate the old saying: "Better late than never".
By chance... Is there a part number with you paperwork? I'd like to know in getting the correct part.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #16

KDHfan...
There was no paperwork that came with the latch except for a UPS tracking slip. I've looked over every part of the latch assembly and there's no numbers whatsoever on any of them, only a Atwood logo. My dealer received the latch directly from Forest River and then sent it to me. The only other thing I can suggest is for you to call Forest River directly and ask them for a part number.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #17

The first thing I did when I brought mine home last week or so was to nearly break mine off.....after reading this. It still works, but it doesn't latch the screen to the main door as tightly now. Might just go ahead and order a backup.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #18

I've contacted FR and got a part number (see my PP a few posts up)... However... I recently ordered a scare light so I could have an amber lens (instead of the clear one the unit came with)... I sent sent them my make/model and vin... And a picture of my light... Still shipped me the wrong part. Just trying to double check before spending $20.
Thanks for checking!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #19

Quote:
I sent sent them my make/model and vin... And a picture of my light... Still shipped me the wrong part. Just trying to double check before spending $20.
You could email Forest River a photo of your latch to be sure both of you are talking about the same latch. I think the latch on our screen doors can only be found on Forest River RV's. When I called Forest River and talked with the warranty guy, I asked him about the screen door latch and told him I couldn't find one like it anywhere. In so many words, he told me that latch was made for only Forest River products and Atwood only sold them to Forest River and their dealers and probably couldn't be found anywhere else. I have yet to find a like one for sale anywhere. The only latch I've found that is close to one one I have, with a paddle like interior handle, is on Ebay, but it still isn't the same product. It also has a price tag of $54.95 plus $6.95 shipping. Here's the link:
Brand New RV Atwood Excel Screen Door Latch Handle Entry Door | eBay

One more thing...I take it your RV is a new 2014 Rockwood model judging from your signature. I would think the latch, like most other parts on your Rockwood, would be warranted for at least a year. If you haven't yet, you should call your dealer and ask them for a replacement latch...at no cost.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

I am glad to see that is not just me with the flimsy door handle. We had our new 23LB in our driveway for a total of 2 hours before my neighbor broke the handle in the same spot when trying to open the screen door.
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote