Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Is It Possible To Increase Awning Width?

Hello to All:

Got back from a 19-day trip to Daytona and Atlanta for camping and NASCAR races and while I clamped on tarps on the sides and front of my 9-foot wide Dometic awning giving me enough dry space for myself, I was looking at possibly moving the awning arms on both ends outward and having a new 10-1/2 foot wide awning installed to provide even more dry area coverage.

Granted, going from only 9-foot to 10-1/2 feet (the arm closest to the door on my TT can move about eight inches toward the front of the trailer and the arm closest to the rear of the TT can be moved about 12-13 inches back) may not sound like a lot of additional coverage, but, with tarps in place, it would give me enough space to comfortably sit three persons in lawn chairs so that we wouldn't get wet.

I'm guessing that any holes left by moving both arms could be easily "silicone" and patched up so no leaks could occur.

Just curious if anyone has done this kind of improvement before? Any idea on the overall cost of replacing an awning for a larger one (9-feet to 10-1/2 feet)?

Semi-relatedly, I noticed that there is about 3-5 inches of space between the arms and the awning fabric itself. Is there any reason why an awning couldn't end just a couple of inches inside each arm?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

--Mark
Old 03-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

May not have support in the walls that would hold it in place.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Coachmen Clipper Fan

That may be....

I thought about that as well, lewisra. I guess I may call Forest River and ask them if whatever the current arms are bolted into extends equally along the bottom and top on both ends.....
Old 03-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Those arms are reinforced for support inside the walls.
I will not try it, on the other hand awnings are really expensive.
If it was me i would buy a 12'X12' canopy....(a good one).
Old 03-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

Sometimes never seems to be enough awning coverage. We set up a 12x12 canopy so you can walk from awning area to pop up and stay dry or out of the sun. Might work for you as well.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Team

There are supports either welded, or bolted, inside the wall frames to support the awning. I'd definitely check with FR before trying to add a longer awning. The other option is to come thru the wall and put a support plate on the inside of the wall. My DW would not even like me doing that one...
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thanks, Rookiewood--much like lewisra, this is a good point.

I do have a couple of gazebos, cabanas, whatever one wants to call them but when its just me, I don't necessarily want to put them up.

Oh well, 'twas a thought....
Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Yeah, I agree Cabinfever97. When I go to Watkins Glen every August for the week and racing, I do end up putting up both my cabanas and covering them and my TT awning with a HUGE tarp, all clamped down. It does give the 10-12 of us definite coverage, cuz' it ALWAYS rains at some point during the week at The Glen!

And, even though I'm on my own RedLdr1, I think I will tell myself that I wouldn't want me to be adding in support plates 'where they ain't'! :-)
Old 03-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #9

You can purchase instant up canopies for about a hundred bucks. It will save you a lot of money and work.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Thanks, jtesta1--that may be exactly what I end up doing too! :-)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
Yeah, I agree Cabinfever97. When I go to Watkins Glen every August for the week and racing, I do end up putting up both my cabanas and covering them and my TT awning with a HUGE tarp, all clamped down. It does give the 10-12 of us definite coverage, cuz' it ALWAYS rains at some point during the week at The Glen!

And, even though I'm on my own RedLdr1, I think I will tell myself that I wouldn't want me to be adding in support plates 'where they ain't'! :-)
Where do you find the room to set up those cabanas at Watkins? Those sites are tiny. We camp there every year for the Wine Festival and we are not allowed to fully extend our awnings unless there's at least 8ft between it and the unit beside us. Health Dept. came around checking and were real A$$holes about it.
BTW, I can hear the cars at the track from my back yard,
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #12

Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Where do you find the room to set up those cabanas at Watkins? Those sites are tiny. We camp there every year for the Wine Festival and we are not allowed to fully extend our awnings unless there's at least 8ft between it and the unit beside us. Health Dept. came around checking and were real A$$holes about it.
BTW, I can hear the cars at the track from my back yard,
And people complain about generators. Me, a well tunes small block is a sound to behold. Generators don’t bother me except for the open frame contractor style
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #13
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Hi Jim & Pam! Well, we're in the Gate 1 Reserved campground, Lot 'L' and we have four sites that make up a two-by-two block. I know what you mean--the sites are what, 40' x 20', so together, we have 40' x 80'.

I place my 21-foot TT sideways at the western edge of my lot, facing inward. We use the exact center for our firepit and all my friends place their tents, pop-ups and motorhome all on the perimeters, along with our cars. Heck, there's even enough room for a porta-john for us too.

So, I put one cabana on the one end of my awning and the next cabana going toward the center of the four lots, sort of making an 'L' shape. Hope this description makes sense.

Would love to meet you and have you over to our site during race week! Let's stay in touch and as August gets closer, we can make some firm plans!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Coachmen Clipper Fan

I know what y0u mean too, pdqparalegal1, and a few years ago, I sprung for a great Honda 3000i generator and absolutely love it and its nice, quiet sound.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Hi Jim & Pam! Well, we're in the Gate 1 Reserved campground, Lot 'L' and we have four sites that make up a two-by-two block. I know what you mean--the sites are what, 40' x 20', so together, we have 40' x 80'.

I place my 21-foot TT sideways at the western edge of my lot, facing inward. We use the exact center for our firepit and all my friends place their tents, pop-ups and motorhome all on the perimeters, along with our cars. Heck, there's even enough room for a porta-john for us too.

So, I put one cabana on the one end of my awning and the next cabana going toward the center of the four lots, sort of making an 'L' shape. Hope this description makes sense.

Would love to meet you and have you over to our site during race week! Let's stay in touch and as August gets closer, we can make some firm plans!
Where do you camp when attending Atlanta race. We stay in the family camp ground. May have to check you out next year. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Well, aceinspp, this year was the first year I actually camped at Atlanta and it was in the Family Premier campground--even though I was by myself, cuz' I wanted both water and electric.

I've been going to AMS for the past 15 years or so, but as my sister who was living in Avondale Estates, GA, I had always stayed with her whenever I flew or drove down from Michigan and then would just go to the Sunday Cup race with my cousin, who lives in Marietta, GA.

However, just a few months ago, my sister moved to a one-bedroom condo and as I fulfilled my desire to attend the full 10-day Speed Weeks at Daytona camping there, I then camped at Atlanta for the very first time. I enjoyed it greatly (despite the weather), and would definitely look to do this again. I think I would try again to renew my space (#69) in the family premier campground next year, IF....I camp again versus just coming down for the weekend.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Well, aceinspp, this year was the first year I actually camped at Atlanta and it was in the Family Premier campground--even though I was by myself, cuz' I wanted both water and electric.

I've been going to AMS for the past 15 years or so, but as my sister who was living in Avondale Estates, GA, I had always stayed with her whenever I flew or drove down from Michigan and then would just go to the Sunday Cup race with my cousin, who lives in Marietta, GA.

However, just a few months ago, my sister moved to a one-bedroom condo and as I fulfilled my desire to attend the full 10-day Speed Weeks at Daytona camping there, I then camped at Atlanta for the very first time. I enjoyed it greatly (despite the weather), and would definitely look to do this again. I think I would try again to renew my space (#69) in the family premier campground next year, IF....I camp again versus just coming down for the weekend.
We are thinking of doing the full Speed Week at Daytona. Is it difficult to get a spot? I assume its boondocking. Hints for a successful visit?

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Hi RacerRalph! I actually booked a spot at Racetrack RV Campground, which is located just outside the racetrack on Turns 3 & 4. You can actually walk (about 10 minutes or so) to the track from the campground, so that makes it nice not to have to drive and park.

I had booked about a year in advance, so there were a lot of available spaces at that time. If you look at the drawing of the campground, the sites are fairly close together--they're only about 17-1/2 feet wide by 50' deep, so you neighbor will be very close to you. There are a few sites at each end of the road that offer more space, but of course, those are more expensive too.

I made do ok and still had room to park my car and have space for a bonfire each night.

There are other campgrounds around the Daytona area that would still mean you'd have to drive to the racetrack and park but I guess it depends on what you're looking for insofar as a place to stay nearer the track than not.

If I recall, it was about $120 a night and every space comes with 30A or 50A electric and water hook up. They do not have a dump station at Racetrack RV, however, for every three nights you book, you get a "coupon" for a free dump done by a portable truck that stops by. You turn your coupon in the night before the day you want the dump done and they'll come around that next morning and do it. It worked out well for me.

I hope this info helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Mark--
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #19

PFLOYD75, we will be at Watkins Glen this year. Maybe we will have to start a Watkins Glen post a few weeks before and see how many from this site will be there?
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
Coachmen Clipper Fan

That would be awesome Cabinfever97! I'd love to see how many of us we can get together!

Tags
awning