Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Is this normal operation for a Power Awning?

Seems like my Dometic Power awning only moves when the rig is connected to shore power or on 12 volt if the battery is fully charged. It will not move on D/C when the battery voltage is below 12.7-12.6 volts. I'm worried that the current draw is excessive indicating a soon to fail motor. I had the battery load tested and it's within range. Would hate to be boon-docking and have issues retracting it. Thanks
JoeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Have Generator?
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

Have a solar panel, no generator.
JoeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

I spray all the pivot points with WD40 a couple times a year, seems to help going in and out.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

Im no expert in how things happpen; I am experienced in the fact that things do happen though and have read quite a bit here. YOu reference "battery" this mean 1? I run off of 1 12v. I can say that if boondocking regularly, vast majority will say you want a generator to recharge unless you have major solar and batteries. This assuming you use and enjoy stuff in your TT and a are not super stingy with every ounce of power. I am not. My research on solar alternative is that in general, it wont keep up.

I am running a couple hours every day to keep battery above th 50% suggested level. Just my experience over last 3+ years.

My awning seems to strain at times too; acts like its gonna stop. If it did, I think I could turn on the geny to finish the job. Geny has saved me many times.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
llr

how and where are you measuring the battery voltage? At that level it shouldn't be an issue.
What is the battery voltage while extending or retracting the awning?
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
Seems like my Dometic Power awning only moves when the rig is connected to shore power or on 12 volt if the battery is fully charged. It will not move on D/C when the battery voltage is below 12.7-12.6 volts. I'm worried that the current draw is excessive indicating a soon to fail motor. I had the battery load tested and it's within range. Would hate to be boon-docking and have issues retracting it. Thanks
Voltage drop sounds more likely to me than motor failure, although, running a motor chronically on low voltage is a sure path to burning up the motor.

Put a good volt meter ON THE BATTERY while someone runs the awning. If voltage holds up then the loss may be a poor ground (or poor hot connection) between the battery and awning. I work expect electrical source issues before assuming a bad motor.

BTW I agree lube lube lube, but try a non sticky lube like 3in1 slide out silicone dry lube or my favorite
Boeshield T-9 Lubricant
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

Mine struggles for about the first foot or two, even with a fully charged battery. While my wife operates the switch I pull down on the awning arm with the motor. Motor does not strain much with this method. Our first awning motor didn’t last a year. My guess it is under sized.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Awning Manual

See page 5 in the attached manual for how to extend or retract when the motor won't work, whatever the reason. This doesn't answer the question, but it will solve the problem so that you can drive away.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solera Power Awning.pdf (4.68 MB, 163 views)

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I spray all the pivot points with WD40 a couple times a year, seems to help going in and out.
Correct lubrication of pivot points as well as good, clean electrical connections will likely make a big difference. It will certainly add life to your drive motor.
White lithium spray lubricants' would work well on the pivots and all other hinged parts, doors, cabinets, latches, hitches.
Proper maintenance can save you lots of headaches.
Dielectric grease applied to CLEAN electrical connectors will help inhibit corrosion.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power