Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Keeping the water out of awning...

So at our season opener along with a bunch of others here at our campground. I am trying to find out why my awning always holds water no matter what I do to try to keep it out. Watched others show up through out the Day who didn't need to do the moldy awning water dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

I think you know all this, so disregard if so. #1, keep awning tube with a partial wrap of awning material so as to not create a gutter along the awning tube. #2, lower one end at least 6" lower than the other end, away from where you want to sit/cook/etc
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

#3 do not put it away wet if you can help it
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

I never put away wet. This is a problem during storage. It literally rains moldy water when I un roll it every time. Somehow it's collecting rain water.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I never put away wet. This is a problem during storage. It literally rains moldy water when I un roll it every time. Somehow it's collecting rain water.
My thoughts are it seeps in the sewing stitching the plastic rod sewn into the awning to attach it to the camper rail. I have fabricated end caps to keep water out of the ends of the awning which work great while towing in the rain, but the awning will still get wet when parked and the awning is in stow position. I have thought seriously about running a bead of clear silicone over the stitching to see if that would stop the water.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My thoughts are it seeps in the sewing stitching the plastic rod sewn into the awning to attach it to the camper rail. I have fabricated end caps to keep water out of the ends of the awning which work great while towing in the rain, but the awning will still get wet when parked and the awning is in stow position. I have thought seriously about running a bead of clear silicone over the stitching to see if that would stop the water.

It has to be going through the stitching. I wonder if a tent seam sealer would work???

Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Done with this

We have been weeks without rain, after putting it up dry, and it still has moisture when deployed...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

I saw a U Tube video showing how to cut up a 2 liter plastic bottle, by cutting a slit in it and installing it over the ends...... Seams like a nice idea, but haven't had time to get to that yet!
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Just a thought but could it be condensation forming while rolled up. I had the same issue on my Shamrock. Never did figure it out. It was just a matter of routine to go out and look for bunk end leaks and extend the awning to dry it out.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Just a thought but could it be condensation forming while rolled up. I had the same issue on my Shamrock. Never did figure it out. It was just a matter of routine to go out and look for bunk end leaks and extend the awning to dry it out.
I have noticed the folks with the metal shield covering the awning are not having the problem, so I don't think it's condensation. If it doesn't rain for weeks and my awning was dry, when I roll it out, it doesn't have any moisture on it from weeks of being stowed.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Very likely condensation. We get it here in NJ during the summer. I've been using Mold Armor on our awnings for years and it makes a huge difference. Might get the stagnant water rolling out still, but the awning fabric will be GTG.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Very likely condensation. We get it here in NJ during the summer. I've been using Mold Armor on our awnings for years and it makes a huge difference. Might get the stagnant water rolling out still, but the awning fabric will be GTG.
Why wouldn't the folks with the metal shielding have the same condensation problem?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why wouldn't the folks with the metal shielding have the same condensation problem?
Aluminum roller and aluminum shroud with thin vinyl between leaves an atmosphere of pretty steady conditions. Conversely, aluminum roller with just thin wrap of vinyl - metal holds heat longer, vinyl cools quickly - perfect for condensing conditions with moisture in the air and when at dew point.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHarley View Post
I saw a U Tube video showing how to cut up a 2 liter plastic bottle, by cutting a slit in it and installing it over the ends...... Seams like a nice idea, but haven't had time to get to that yet!
Ive tried this with mixed results. Make sure the end caps have a drain hole otherwise they can collect rainwater and funnel it right into the end of the awning. Also if they interfere with the roof gutter leaves and debris will collect up there and create a whole new mess. I had better luck with end caps made from the 4" black plastic field tile from Lowes or HD, but still occassionally I get water in the awning no matter what I do.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
Ive tried this with mixed results. Make sure the end caps have a drain hole otherwise they can collect rainwater and funnel it right into the end of the awning. Also if they interfere with the roof gutter leaves and debris will collect up there and create a whole new mess. I had better luck with end caps made from the 4" black plastic field tile from Lowes or HD, but still occassionally I get water in the awning no matter what I do.
I made these for preventing rain getting in the ends of the awning and they work great, but the awning still gets wet just sitting. I don't believe it is from condensation but leaking thru the seam at the awning/camper joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover close up.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	71813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover stowed.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	71814   Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Awning cover hinge.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	71815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover with end cap.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	71816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00394.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	71817  

Old 03-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #16

I too have a problem with the condensation idea. I just dont see enough air volumn between the wraps to condensate moisture, unless somehow the heating and cooling of that air, pumps moisture laden air in and dry air out and that moisture collects over time. I always assumed the awning wraps allowed rain water to seep in the edges. Another mentally exercising thread....
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:

I tried the tent seam sealer ....wouldn't work for me... it is expensive plus it didn't last very long........ I used Dicor self leveling lap seal ( smoothed out with my finger ) and it seems to be doing a great job...... might try that.............
fearnofishbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
I tried the tent seam sealer ....wouldn't work for me... it is expensive plus it didn't last very long........ I used Dicor self leveling lap seal ( smoothed out with my finger ) and it seems to be doing a great job...... might try that.............

Good info. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #19

Water in Awning

[QUOTE=ryand;811908]So at our season opener along with a bunch of others here at our campground. I am trying to find out why my awning always holds water no matter what I do to try to keep it out. Watched others show up through out the Day who didn't need to do the moldy awning water dance.

My previous rig had problems with weather (sun/Rain/snow) damaging awning so new rig was going to be protected. I don't know if I reinvented the wheel but I used plastic rain gutter. For less than $20 I have full protection. My 2300 comes with a built-in gutter and the addition clips in with no modification. The left-over pieces became a waste hose support. Waste not want not
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=GerryW;846290]
Quote:
So at our season opener along with a bunch of others here at our campground. I am trying to find out why my awning always holds water no matter what I do to try to keep it out. Watched others show up through out the Day who didn't need to do the moldy awning water dance.

My previous rig had problems with weather (sun/Rain/snow) damaging awning so new rig was going to be protected. I don't know if I reinvented the wheel but I used plastic rain gutter. For less than $20 I have full protection. My 2300 comes with a built-in gutter and the addition clips in with no modification. The left-over pieces became a waste hose support. Waste not want not
Do you have a picture?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, water