Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Kwikee Steps

After only 1 1/2 years my series 25 Kwikee steps have begun to fail. the motor is making "gear stripping" noises and the only way to get them to totally retract is to give it a little help by pushing it back up. Generally the motor will shut down after a second or two. This is disappointing as they really are pretty new.

After research I discovered the LPI recall and at first thought that my steps would be covered. Turns out that I have a new mechanism so the motor failure is still covered by warranty. I know that the motor only needs replacement gear plugs for $8.00 so I decided to fix it quickly and then schedule a warranty visit as LIP admits that it needs a new motor but will not ship me one directly.

The good news is that the new mechanism is completely different and can not possibly fail in the same way as the older designs. It is much cleaner and simpler...with one exception. The simple job of removing the 3 5/16 inch bolts now requires the removal of the entire sub plate and disconnecting the linkage as well, since the bolts have nuts on the back side rather than simple tapped holes in the base plate. Too bad! A 30 minute job is now a 2 hour job. So forget a quick fix!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160725_163258.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	115350  

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote