Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Manual Awning Rollup Issue

I have a manual A&E, original to my 2007 Surveyor. This awning will roll itself up by activating a latch and guiding it up with a pull strap.

The last few times I have rolled up the awning, the end with the control latch (rollup/down) forward on the trailer, does not roll up tight like the back section. There ends up with some play in the awning material, it's not rolled tight. Its like the back (facing the trailer side- left) end rolls up tighter than the front (facing the trailer side-right). I roll it by using the strap, positioned in the center of the awning. I have tried having a person stand at each end and hand guiding it up evenly, but it did not help.

Is there a spring on the front/right end that is maybe not applying enough tension when rolling up? If so, is there any way to adjust it?

The manual is no help, and my Google search did not result in anything useful.

Any one with experience with this?

The material is starting to get a bit frayed on the edge (and the fraying is on the back-left end that rolls up tight. I see new awning material in the next year or two. The camper has always been sheltered since we purchased it (new).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

Have you checked the material alignment? Mine creeps after being deployed during a breezy day. But, my symptom that there's misalignment is that the arms won't seat easily/properly when stowing.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Have you checked the material alignment? Mine creeps after being deployed during a breezy day. But, my symptom that there's misalignment is that the arms won't seat easily/properly when stowing.
Yes, I have had the material creep before. When it happens, It is easy to realign it. When rolled up, the arms nest together as they should.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Well, there goes the quick fix. That was the only thing I could think of.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If I recall correctly, you are suppose to let the awning "snap" back the last 2-3 feet. Don't guide the awning all the way up strap, but rather get it within 2-3 feet and let 'er go.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

I've never done that. Maybe the last 6" quickly, I've never let her snap back the last 2-3 feet. I'm not saying I'm right, just I've never done it. My awning is 14 years old and still working. But showing signs of age.... ain't we all.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If I recall correctly, you are suppose to let the awning "snap" back the last 2-3 feet. Don't guide the awning all the way up strap, but rather get it within 2-3 feet and let 'er go.
I have always guided it all the way up. I will try this and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's possible the roller spring is getting weak.
I've replaced one before and it's no fun .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It's possible the roller spring is getting weak.
I've replaced one before and it's no fun .
Ugh! That's what I was thinking. It may just wait a year or so until the fabric is bad enough to replace. It has several delam spots in the material, but nothing that is a hole, or that looks real bad.. I have one very small edge tear that I am going to try awning repair tape on.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Update

I put the awning repair tape on today. When I rolled the awning back up, I let it snap back on its own for the last couple of feet. It rolled up tight.
I had been guiding it all the way back up, trying to not make any more noise than needed when packing up. I guess I will let it snap itself into place. Amazing the things you learn even after years with the same unit.

Tags
awning, manual