Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #1

My emergency escape window fell out!

While driving through downtown Chicago on I-90 my emergency escape window fell out! We stopped at a Home Depot and got a piece of white PVC board and made a quick repair. Has this ever happened to anyone? This happened on the second day of my trip to Seattle from Pennsylvania. I got back on 8-2 and my Sunseeker 2400 WSD is still in the shop waiting on a replacement window. The long term insurance I purchased when I bought the MH in 2016 ( it's a 2017 model) doesn't cover it. And calling ahead on the way back through Elkhart, where it was built, didn't help as they don't apparently carry an inventory of things like that. I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. That pretty well shoots the rest of the season. We were planning on a trip to New England in the fall.
captdanerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

That's a bummer, although I've heard of it happening before. Also have been told that it's a long wait to order replacement glass. I would shop around a bit as you may get lucky and someone may have what you need. I would think you should be able to fashion a more permanent "temporary repair" so you can enjoy the rest of the season. Good luck.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Team

As Rusty said, I'd come up with a semi-permanent repair and use the RV until they got the part in.

If they haven't already ordered the window, you may be able to find it at Pelland enterprises (pellandent.com) and they may be able to get it quicker and/or cheaper.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team

You might try a full service glass shop, many times they have sources that can create a custom window.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

RV Salvage Yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdanerie View Post
While driving through downtown Chicago on I-90 my emergency escape window fell out! We stopped at a Home Depot and got a piece of white PVC board and made a quick repair. Has this ever happened to anyone? This happened on the second day of my trip to Seattle from Pennsylvania. I got back on 8-2 and my Sunseeker 2400 WSD is still in the shop waiting on a replacement window. The long term insurance I purchased when I bought the MH in 2016 ( it's a 2017 model) doesn't cover it. And calling ahead on the way back through Elkhart, where it was built, didn't help as they don't apparently carry an inventory of things like that. I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. That pretty well shoots the rest of the season. We were planning on a trip to New England in the fall.
Believe it or not, there are RV salvage yards, just like automotive "junkyards."

This Google query
rv salvage yard pennsylvania
finds four. Good luck.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Was it the whole window assembly or just the glass? Glass should be a bit easier to replace.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

The glass shop is a very valid suggestion! I managed to toss something with the lawn mower once, and hit one of the windows on our fiver several years ago. Gor a price and delivery estimate from the manufacturer (Keystone) and was floored by the time interval of 2-3 months and a price of just over $180 plus installation.

Took out the sash along with what was left of the glass (hint:cover the remaining bits of glass with tape to stabilize it)to a local glass shop. Since it was tempered glass and tinted, it had to be ordered, of course. In less than a week, it was ready at a cost of about $30. The glass was in the frame,ready to go. Installed it in a few minutes, and the tint matched perfectly. This only works of course, if you have the sash/frame on hand. The best suggestion I can make in this particular case is to buy a suitable sheet of polycarbonate (lexan) cut to fit, and put it in place. Gorilla tape works well, is waterproof, and can be removed, without leaving a deposit of adhesive.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #8

Mine also

My escape window got sucked out of the frame by a passing 18 wheeler on the way to Palo Duro canyon in Texas. The rod that allows the window to be pushed outward from the inside was not fully engaged with the bracket that snugs it down. Now I always check that catch and have put a small rubber band to add secondary safety.

On the road repair was a stop to Walmart and bought cardboard and lots of duct tape. Red neck engineering for sure. Ordered window thru dealer but in the meantime bought some smoked plexiglass, cut to size and screwed it into the window frame. Looked pretty good. Replacement window took 6 weeks to arrive.
Radbob48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Our emergency escape window was broken out by a semi trucks mirror that was out of his lane and it took the dealer several weeks to get it ( after it was incorrectly ordered the first time ). Do what others have said & get a piece of plexiglass & duct tape it inplace until replacement glass comes in & use your RV until then, we did. I did a search & found that there are several places around that you can buy a replacement. Also use a rubber hair tie to secure the lever to the attachment inside your RV.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Ours got sucked out just like radbob's experience. We found a replacement on ebay, ordered it and got it in within 10 days. DH and I replaced it and the only difficulty was that it was so high up and he was on a ladder outside, I was inside.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

I also replaced a broken fire escape window. Bought it from one of these ebay dealers...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCI-30-x-22...ry!02874!US!-1

It was in great condition, and just a fraction of the cost of a new one. The important thing to know before ordering, is the RV cutout opening size.

So, the original has to at least have the trim removed from the inside to get an accurate measurement.

Inside trim removed...

Replacement window...

Installed...

Not too difficult, just time consuming. It didn't come with a screen, but the original screen fit back perfectly.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Same problem, but we lucked out.

We had the same thing happen to our 2012 Cougar High Country on the dark and rainy Friday evening of our first day of our first trip. We had parked in Walmart for the night when we discovered the problem so I went into the store and bought heavy plastic and duct tape to make temporary repairs. We were only about 150 miles into a 5000 mile trip with friends, so we really didn't want to abort the trip.

The next morning we made some calls from the road and arranged to stop for repairs at a dealer in Grand Junction, CO who just happened to have an employee picking up a trailer that day at the Keystone factory in Goshen. He picked up a replacement window and brought it back so that it was waiting for us the following Monday when we rolled into Grand Junction. Nothing short of a miracle!

P.S. You may be wondering why we bothered to stop for repairs since the work around was just fine for our immediate needs. It is because on day 2 of the trip before we started the phone calls, I ran into a gas pump concrete abutment and wiped out the plumbing under the trailer. No dumping until it was repaired.

But . . . that is another story . . .
Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #13

Me TOO!

I had the same thing happen,

I'm a full timer, so I couldn't stay somewhere else for 6 weeks waiting for the window to come in.

See my repair "patch":
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ch-192297.html
Danryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window