Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

Need to adjust my awning

I have an automatic awning on my RV. The problem is that it doesn't roll up without getting the vinyl fabric skewed. In other words, it doesn't roll up evenly but instead it wrinkles the fabric as it goes in.

I want to adjust this so that the roll on the RV matches the roll on the outside "barrel", without twisting or skewing the fabric. This will of course require me to re-roll the fabric on either the RV or the outboard barrel. I am not sure which one comes off or the procedure to do it right. I am under the impression that it is all under tension, but unsure how.

Is anyone aware of a YouTube video on doing this, or some instructions somewhere?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Extend it fully and center it on the roller. Some put a pop rivet (through the fabric and roller) in one end or the other to prevent off center creep.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Extend it fully and center it on the roller. Some put a pop rivet (through the fabric and roller) in one end or the other to prevent off center creep.
I keep pulling mine, but I can't get it to center up. I need to find a FRF'r and work together to do it.

Sort of wish I was going to Goshen!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Almost does take two people.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 04-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
But that's just the thing. I don't know how to center it on the roller. If it's under tension, then if I take off the fabric, it might snap on me. Not sure how it's all rolled up, so I want to do it without getting myself in a situation where I take it apart and can't put it back together.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
But that's just the thing. I don't know how to center it on the roller. If it's under tension, then if I take off the fabric, it might snap on me. Not sure how it's all rolled up, so I want to do it without getting myself in a situation where I take it apart and can't put it back together.
People talk about extending the awning and literally shifting it on the tube without taking anything apart. (At least, that's what I believe that I understand.)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
People talk about extending the awning and literally shifting it on the tube without taking anything apart. (At least, that's what I believe that I understand.)

Yes! It can be shifted with awning extended.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2....otherwise, how would you grasp it..
Old 04-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Use ratchet straps from upper end of arms to a pick-up, if you have one, parked out a little from the awning....Don't completely un-roll awning to where it becomes tight..
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yes! It can be shifted with awning extended.

Do you just pull like there's no tomorrow? Or is there a trick to it?

My awning is 21 or 22 feet and I haven't figured out how to seemingly effect the positioning.

Tags
awning