Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

One lock or two per storage compartment door?

I've seen lots of talk all over the 'net on upgrading storage compartment door locks from the all-too-common CH751 keyed locks. It's obviously a great idea but should the cam lock and thumb-turn latch (correct name?) be replaced as well? It seems like if someone really wants to get in, they'd open the thumb latch and either yank the door open or get a crowbar in easier.

Still leaves me wondering, even with the best upgraded cam lock, with some effort, someone can still get into your RV. The doors aren't particularly strong. Should we be concerned about this?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't think 2 latches would help. If someone really wants to get in, all they have to do is kick real hard to the break the fiberglass or as you said, just pry the door open. As my granddaddy always told me, "locks just keep honest people honest, crooks will find a way."
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

I changed the cam locks on all of my outside compartments and just left the turn locks as is. Was able to find 4 keyed alike and the change out was reallty simple. At least the 751 key doesn't work them any more.
JBLODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

I put barrel locks in both positions with dust covers on them. Not the perfect solution but it slows them down. Besides if anyone wants in they will smash a window anyway.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

If the thief can't get in with his/hers CH751 key they will just kick in or pry the door open. Now you not only lost all your stuff but have $300 to $400 in damage. Might be best to keep the CH751 keyed locks to deter the casual thief looking for easy pickens. And store more valuable items elsewhere.
Dan97471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

We ended up ordering a set of 6 tubular type cam locks for our compartment doors from Industrial Lock & Hardware.

Nice looking locks (actually made in the US of A too!). They were shipped to us in less than 3 days. Someone called us within a 1/2 hour of the online order, and it was after after 6pm. He verified that the part numbers we ordered were correct and then he said it would to us by Friday (which was in less than 3 days). We were skeptical, but sure enough, they arrived as promised. The shipping cost was very reasonable too.

Total cost of the locks incl. shipping was just under $80. It would have cost over $30 each at at local locksmith shop.

I wish there were more companies out there with this level of service. Amazon for example, has left a bad taste in our mouths as of late when it comes to service. We'd rather purchase from independent vendors like ILH. FWIW, we ended up using ILH because of this site.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

I removed the current CH751 locks, took them to a locksmith and he replaced them with new ones that use a different key. Only cost $8/lock and they were made to fit just like the others. Like someone else posted, keeps the honest people honest. It doesn't take much effort to get into the storage compartment if you really wanted in there. I just had a fundamental problem with everyone having the same key as me being able to get into my storage bays. The down side is if I get locked out or lock my keys in there then there won't be 50 other people at the campground with a duplicate.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't think 2 latches would help. If someone really wants to get in, all they have to do is kick real hard to the break the fiberglass or as you said, just pry the door open. As my granddaddy always told me, "locks just keep honest people honest, crooks will find a way."
Grand daddy was a wise man. I changed the CH-751 locks for just that reason. The thumb latches I left alone. I changed the shower door lock at the same time so I don't need to carry a special key just for that.

DO NOT buy locks the propane compartments if you have them (5th wheels) DoT regs require them to be unlocked for travel.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote