Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Outdoor Kitchen Door

Our 2010 Heritage Glen has always had issues with the outdoor kitchen door. We purchased the unit new, but noticed that the pneumatic door lifts (one on each end of the door) were weak, twisted during use, and the anchors to the actual door were not made to last. Therefore, I drilled through holes in the door, and used thru-bolts and large washers to add stability and distribute the load.

The washed have started to pull through the door from the outside. The surface of the door started to crack, and since there is little strength in the actual door, the cracks are quickly spreading and allowing water to enter the door.

I asked my dealer for a price on a new door: $850.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid spending such a ridiculous amount? Repair? Another source for a door?
HarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Instead of washers, make alum plates for both the inside and outside of the door to spread the load out even more. Don't forget to caulk around the outside plates to thwart water intrusion.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door