Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1

Power Awning Questions

Having questions about a Dometic power awning. Our old camper had a manual type awning that could be tied down, deflapped, and one corner could be lowered in case of wind and rain. The power awning can be tied down but nothing else. A slight breeze or shower play havoc with it. We like to sit out under the awning in the shade but are having to roll it back in for really minor breezes or showers. Our dealer said that would not be possible to put a manual awning on because of the holes in side it would leave. Our camperis 2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS. Thanks for any possible help.
Thomas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

Thomas,

I'm not sure what your question is here. If you are asking if another awning can be mounted, I'm sure it could. Holes can be filled and patched but the expense would probably be prohibitive. If you're asking about strapping down the power awning you can do it as long as you disable the automatic wind feature which puts it away in high winds. As there are no side arms though there is no way to put de-flappers on it.

I too had a manual awning on our last RV and loved it even though it was more work. I could strap it down, put on the deflapers and lower one corner and not have to worry about it. I now have to pay a lot of attention to the power awning in bad weather because it will not shed water the way it was designed to and it will not put itself away in high winds unless it is blowing steadily above the preset speed for more than 1 minute. This rarely happens and winds usually change direction and speed. I have had our awning billow up and flop all over the place but never put itself away becuase of high winds. Really a case of false advertisement on these things as they aren't the great idea they tout them to be.

Give me a manual one and I'd be fine.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

I guess I got to rambling too much. Just wondered if anyone else had same problems and if they had any solutions or advice. Thanks for answer NWJEEPER
Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

I have the same problem, and did a lot of research and looking for solutions. The first one that I found actually worked pretty good for the rain. It is buried deep in this link: http://www.outbackers.com/forums/ind...l=awning&st=75 The guy actually has some video of him doing the work....nice job. So, I added a center support. It really helps out. Soon after I did that, I stumbled across a post somewhere that they now have a fix/mod for the awning to allow for the tilt. You will need to contact the dealer where you got the camper from and have them order a "Kit" for getting the
tilt: 3312508.017b. (Carefree is my awning type). They will need to have your model and serial number also.

I haven't had the opportunity to install it, but did go out and look it over with the awning out -- looks like a pretty good fix.

As for the wind and deflapping...haven't solved that one yet, but I have tied it down and been relatively happy.

Good luck.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Campfire Master

The awning can be lowered if you have the adjustable arm on it. If you don't, your dealer can get one for you from Dometic for free. I did that and it works great. I also tie mine down when necessary. Just don't crank down real hard and use a spring on the tie down strap. Never had a problem with the awning flapping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arm.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1947  
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
The awning can be lowered if you have the adjustable arm on it. If you don't, your dealer can get one for you from Dometic for free. I did that and it works great. I also tie mine down when necessary. Just don't crank down real hard and use a spring on the tie down strap. Never had a problem with the awning flapping.
Do you think that the 2010's 28RKBS come standard with that adjustable arm you had put on???

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
This ONLY applies if you have an older awning without the automatic rain dump feature. Ours came equipped with a spring loaded rear arm that is supposed to automatically collapse when rain builds up on the awning. Domettic considers this to be the equvellant to the adjustable arm and wont supply you a free adjustable arm in this case.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #8

AVid, That is the part that I had to get for mine, just haven't had a chance to install it. I think they want the model/serial # so they can also determine if it is the spring loaded one.

I am looking forward to installing mine...next trip camping I'll be putting it on, now if Thanksgiving will just hurry up and get here!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Campfire Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
This ONLY applies if you have an older awning without the automatic rain dump feature. Ours came equipped with a spring loaded rear arm that is supposed to automatically collapse when rain builds up on the awning. Domettic considers this to be the equvellant to the adjustable arm and wont supply you a free adjustable arm in this case.
Mine did indeed come with the automatic dump feature. Note the collapseable shock mounted on the arm. It did dump rain water, but not until I thought it got too full, then it was like Niagara Falls. Dometic sent my dealer an arm for me for free. I put it on with a little help.

John
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Campfire Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post
Do you think that the 2010's 28RKBS come standard with that adjustable arm you had put on???
Don't have any first hand knowledge on that, but I have heard that the newer units have that arm already installed.

John
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Mine did indeed come with the automatic dump feature. Note the collapseable shock mounted on the arm. It did dump rain water, but not until I thought it got too full, then it was like Niagara Falls. Dometic sent my dealer an arm for me for free. I put it on with a little help.

John
Seems there is no consistency in the way Dometic is handling this then as my dealer also sent them the model and serial number of my awning and they refused to provide the free arm stating that I already have the "automatic" dump arm. I agree with you though the "dump" feature allows way too much water to build up and mine never dumps because our motorhome is rarely off level rearward enough for the water to run that way. It's just a really poor design in my mind.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
Campfire Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
It's just a really poor design in my mind.
I couldn't agree with you more. We always preferred to be outside, even when it rained. We were sitting out under the awning during a lite rain shower and I was watching the awning fill up with water. Started to get a little nervous so I got up and pulled on the arm to get it to dump...and dump it did. I got soaked. The DW thought it was funny, I didn't.

Just proves that some of the people that design this stuff are not campers and have no idea.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #13

Automatic doesn't always mean better. We ordered our 5th from the factory so we had them put on a manual awning instead of the stock power awning. We read a few posts like this and thought that for us the manual was a better option.
swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

A Big Thank You to everybody with all the help!!!!!!! I think we will finally be able to enjoy sitting outside under the awning!

Tags
awning