Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Power awning remote backwards

Hello all, my power awning quit working as well as my power stabilizers. After awhile of checking found fuse under stove blown. Replaced. Now however the awning goes out when pushing remote to retract and the switch on the wall extends but won't retract. Had wires wrong at switch after checking for voltage initially. Jacks work correctly. All is correct not and fuse is good yet have this problem. Any suggestions, or a link for a wiring diagram? Thank you, Rob
Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Was the awning inadvertently rolled up backwards? You know, xtended, then rolled up while hitting extend button. Making awning rolled up backwards? Just a theory, has it worked right before?
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Yes it was rolled up backwards unknowningly. Then extended it and retracted it correctly. Having to help it back in by rolling it by hand while holding the switch.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #4

I have the same issue. Camped last weekend and awning extended fine. Went to pack up and awning wouldnt retract. Only way I could get it in was to roll up backwards using the out button. Awning was not rolled up backwards before. Thanks for any help or ideas
bobtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

I know that mine, when new would not roll in without assistance. Took it in for warranty and was told that was normal for new one. Was told as it gets used the gas shocks will loosen up and it will eventually work as designed. No replacement. Bunch of whooey if you ask me.

Four years later... Still slow rolling up but it will do it. Bright side, shocks wearing out I guess. Wonder what will be cheaper, shocks or replacing whole awning?
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks. Ive been doing research and it seems I may have a short in the awning. Going to remove motor cover and see if I have any loose or exposed wires
Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I know that mine, when new would not roll in without assistance. Took it in for warranty and was told that was normal for new one. Was told as it gets used the gas shocks will loosen up and it will eventually work as designed. No replacement. Bunch of whooey if you ask me.

Four years later... Still slow rolling up but it will do it. Bright side, shocks wearing out I guess. Wonder what will be cheaper, shocks or replacing whole awning?

Mine worked fine until this last week. Not sure. It will not roll up on its own. But extends fine. As well as the
remote being backwards.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

On my awning a Dometic 9100 it has a spring in one end(the end opposite the motor) if the spring has broken or is wound tight enough it would not roll up. After I put a new awning on it. I rolled the spring the wrong way and needless to say it would not roll up with the switch. After reading about it on the forums and finding a manual on it I rolled it up the correct way, At first it needed help so I gave it another turn and has been fine since

Nights camped 2016 3
Nights camped 2017 46
Nights camped 2018 20
GaryNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

Thanks GaryNC. Found manual closing procedure on Lippert website. Also noticed when closed tracks mounted on camper not aligned with covers on awning support. Going to try to align as awning has shifted on roller. Found nothing in manual on tightening spring. After manually closing a little was able to get closed almost fully with retract button

Tags
awning, power, remote