Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Power Awning shift

So this year using the awning there seemed to be weird creases in the material when putting out the awning. Once the sun hit it it all went away, but every morning they would be back. Same spot all the time every time I put it out each morning.

I am very careful with my awning, even have it tied down on each end for random wind gusts as we camp, and roll it up each night, or when going away for awhile

Anyway, when we went to leave I noticed that it wont go back flush onto the wall brackets, it seems to of shifted to the left some. When its out it looks straight, although there is more roller showing on one side then the other.

It rolls in and out fine, but I did notice that when rolling in the creases are from the awning material kind of pinching together but at an angle.

Is there a fix for this, there doesnt seem to be any missing parts, Ive never over extended it, I keep all the pins lubricated, etc
spidey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

You awning material has come out of square with camper. You are going to have to extend awning,,get on a ladder and shift material one way or other on the tube to get it straight again. Once you get it to your liking. Use a small screw or rivet and secure material to the tube so it won't walk around anymore.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
You awning material has come out of square with camper. You are going to have to extend awning,,get on a ladder and shift material one way or other on the tube to get it straight again. Once you get it to your liking. Use a small screw or rivet and secure material to the tube so it won't walk around anymore.
Thank you, sounds valid :-) Since there is more grey tube on one end than the other. Are there supposed to be screws in there from the factory? if So should there be a hole in the tube to put on back in
Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Thank you, sounds valid :-) Since there is more grey tube on one end than the other. Are there supposed to be screws in there from the factory? if So should there be a hole in the tube to put on back in
There should be screws in the rail that attaches to the camper. Once you get the material centered on the roller, pop rivet thru the side hem on both ends into the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	182699  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There should be screws in the rail that attaches to the camper. Once you get the material centered on the roller, pop rivet thru the side hem on both ends into the tube.
Thank you, although I have no idea how to pop rivet. have no tools for that

But I will try sliding over the awning this weekend.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #6

You can use screws instead of pop rivets if you like. I personally don't use either. I've had to reposition the fabric twice in 6 years. No biggy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You can use screws instead of pop rivets if you like. I personally don't use either. I've had to reposition the fabric twice in 6 years. No biggy.
Trailer is 6 years old, and first time. if thats all this is, Ill probably just shift it and move on, and if it happens again, do it again
Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Thank you, although I have no idea how to pop rivet. have no tools for that

But I will try sliding over the awning this weekend.
Use a washer under a self tapping screw. I'd drill a pilot hole first.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

So fixed this last night. But it wasnt the front part of the awning on the roller, it was on the trailer itself. I got my two boys to lift the ends up for slack, and tried to slide it in the tube. It moved a little, very little, but unless I wanted to pull and rip something, thought to look at something else.

What it was the set screws on the trailer were either loose, or just not tight from factory, or tight but after 6 years moved enough in the rail to cause this. When I removed both set screws, I was able to slide it in the rail easily (when the awning had slack. I moved it to far originally so then the arms were not fitting but on the opposite side. Took a couple tries, but now is lines up like it should and fits snug.

Guess Ill add to the trailer check up list to tighten these set screws each spring

Tags
awning, power