Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Pull down steps

Our newly purchased 2019 Mini-Lite has the new pull down integrated steps. Even with the run length of the steps adjusted to the shortest setting, there appears to be an issue. If you park close to a patio slab and pull the steps down onto the slab, the exterior door won't close. It hits the top of the stairway. This means you have to park almost 4 feet from the pad in order to have steps down and door open. Other option is to use levelors to raise trailer the necessary amount of inches.
Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?
ssgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

This is written as a non-owner of these steps, so take my input for what it cost ya.

I don't think you're missing anything. You seem to be exactly right in your assessment.

Fortunately, I can only think of a handful of places that I've stayed that this would be problematic in that way.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

I have the fold down steps, but honestly, we have not run into that situation in two years. I have had to stick blocks under one foot due to uneven ground, but that's been the only issue for me.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

This is an UPDATE to my original post. To be clear, the problem occurs only if it is a RAISED slab. Also, the park away distance is more like 2.5 feet.
ssgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
To be clear, the problem occurs only if it is a RAISED slab. Also, the park away distance is more like 2.5 feet.
Understood. I've honestly only parked at a couple of spots over the years that I think it would be raised enough to be an issue.

Usually if there's a pad, it's usually close enough to the same level as the tires that I don't think it'd be a regular/significant issue.

I remember one place that the pad was 4-6" above the level of the parking area beside it. That would have definitely been an issue.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

I don't think you are missing anything. We've learned you have to be careful with those steps. If they are raised up just a hair above the level of the door, the door won't close or open. The other day I was packing away the trailer and my DH raised the hitch up a few inches to hitch up and I couldn't open the door. I think the steps may have bent a little too. Lesson learned. They are a bit of a pain, but I do like the better stability and the ability to adjust the height compared to my old trailer's steps.
Suru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Get a couple of boards and drive in them to raise the trailer. It’s a pain but the only way I’ve found to correct issue. Had I known this problem, I would have not bought the Morryde step.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Without being able to measure right now, I'd say the adjustable feet of my steps give me 5" of adjustment possibly. I've always had to run them fully extended at the places we've been. None have had a raised slab or patio that we've had to deal with.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
If they are raised up just a hair above the level of the door, the door won't close or open. The other day I was packing away the trailer and my DH raised the hitch up a few inches to hitch up and I couldn't open the door. I think the steps may have bent a little too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
Had I known this problem, I would have not bought the Morryde step.
I get chastised a bit for being a fanboy of my Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps, but I really feel like they're the better product here. What stinks is that the ones that come with the MorRyde (or Lippert knockoffs) is that they're doing away with the box where the steps used to be. Which means, you can't get rid of these things even if you wanted to.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I get chastised a bit for being a fanboy of my Torklift Glowstep Revolution steps, but I really feel like they're the better product here. What stinks is that the ones that come with the MorRyde (or Lippert knockoffs) is that they're doing away with the box where the steps used to be. Which means, you can't get rid of these things even if you wanted to.
This guy agrees with you and the OP.....

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

[QUOTE=ssgg;2045389]Our newly purchased 2019 Mini-Lite has the new pull down integrated steps. Even with the run length of the steps adjusted to the shortest setting, there appears to be an issue. If you park close to a patio slab and pull the steps down onto the slab, the exterior door won't close. It hits the top of the stairway. This means you have to park almost 4 feet from the pad in order to have steps down and door open. Other option is to use levelors to raise trailer the necessary amount of inches.
Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

You are not missing anything and this issue is becoming a more familiar topic on several of the R/V forums so you are not alone.

Not something I'd want. Pull into a nice level spot with a nice concrete pad and then have to run up on boards because my steps won't allow my door to open/close... no thanks. My adjustable step stabilizer for my scissor steps works just fine and they are rock solid.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote