Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #41
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Emm-dee, probably would work, but....already have the holes. I wedged in a bit of wood at the bottom to try securing, but poles still rattle. Did the tape, been almost a year, so far, so good. Also, keeps the paint from getting scratched while nesting inside the other pole.

I had added a few wraps of sandpaper taped to the inner pole and spun it with a drill to smooth the inner walls of the outer conduit. Still was getting scratches. Until I added the tape. Now, no scratches or rattles.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Emm-dee, probably would work, but....already have the holes. I wedged in a bit of wood at the bottom to try securing, but poles still rattle. Did the tape, been almost a year, so far, so good. Also, keeps the paint from getting scratched while nesting inside the other pole.

I had added a few wraps of sandpaper taped to the inner pole and spun it with a drill to smooth the inner walls of the outer conduit. Still was getting scratches. Until I added the tape. Now, no scratches or rattles.
Paulie, I do the electrical tape too.
I started with the felt looking part of Velcro but found if I didn't take my time and was careful pushing the inner pole into the outer pole, it would begin to peel off and after a few times it was gone. The black electrical tapes works perfectly and easily cut back an inch or so if the edge begins to get loose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #43
Who Dares, Wins

OK so I guess I should have no issues with it, thanks for the help. I'll have to keep a look out for the aluminum emt to see if it can be had locally. Guessing you all did 3/4 and 1/2"?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
OK so I guess I should have no issues with it, thanks for the help. I'll have to keep a look out for the aluminum emt to see if it can be had locally. Guessing you all did 3/4 and 1/2"?
Or, wait for the next big thunderstorm to sweep through a campground. Then there will be some “Easy-Up” corner poles laying around. These covers usually get lots of damage to everything except the four main poles. They are sturdy and, better yet, they’re free.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #45

Quote:

Honestly Doc73 a fiberglass painters pole will work as well if not better. They’re strong and much more adjustable. Plus they will take very little fashioning to get them to work properly. Here is what I used.

Premier 4' -8' Extension Pole w/External Twist Lock, Fiberglass & Stainless Steel, 84048 hinged-Interior-Flat-Panel-Doors, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026GWGUI..._K67fDbSS2XGQ6

As far as tie downs go. If the awning is tied down as well as some do on here if a heavy gust comes along the poles will hold well but the awning may rip from the coach or trailer which could be even more costly than the awning arms. Just a thought. PM me if you have questions.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Found the aluminum EMT locally (San Antonio) and you have to go two sizes to get it to fit inside. Example: originally bought 1" and 3/4", the 3/4" would not slide inside the 1". Have to go 1" and 1/2" as there is no 1 1/4" locally.

Total EMT cost was $32.
txarsoncop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning