Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #1

Question Removing Door Panel ?

I need to remove the inner panel from the driver's side entrance door on my 2002 Windsong. This is a solid, hard plastic panel. I don't see any screws or anything that appears to be holding this panel on to the door itself.

Can anyone shed some light and tell me how this inner panel is attached to the driver's door and how to remove it?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

While I don't have any experience with your particular unit, most vehicles (cars, trucks, etc) use plastic, non-threaded pieces that push into the metal framing on the door to attach the inside part of the door to the frame. They are usually hidden under the plastic and you have to pry them out to get the part your talking about off the door. There is a special tool you can get at most auto parts stores that will help you do this (it's called a trim removal tool). When you go to put it back together, you basically just push those plastic "pins" back into the holes they came out of. You have to be pretty careful when you're pulling the trim off the door or you'll damage those little "pins" (for lack of a better word) and the trim won't fit to the frame as well.

This may not be the best help you wanted, but it's the only information I know. Hopefully someone has better knowledge about it than I do to help you better.

Tim

2008 Ram MegaCab Hemi
Reese Dual-Cam WD Hitch
2009 Surveyor 304
flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks, Tim. I'll give it a try.

Bill
Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Remove door panel GENERIC. Remove screws or bolts at armrest. They will be there, maybe even upside down, but they are there. Remove screw around inside door handle, or pop out that trim piece, if no screw. Remove trim for outside rear view mirror, usually pop out. Lift up on door panel. Some panels attach by sliding down. When convinced that the panel won't lift up, gently pry front lower corner back and try to POP the "tree" out. (these things are called trees because that's what they look like.) Do the front lower corner in case you break something, it's less noticeable, and the duct tape stays there better......lol. Once you figure out you have trees, then it's a matter of going around the door, ( stay on the bottom) and work your way around. They will be about 4 inches apart. Once you get the panel loose. be careful with the wiring for windows, door locks, etc.

Good luck. You never did comment on why you need the panel off. Usually the only reason to remove the door panel is to replace a power window motor or a window regulator, and occasionally a door lock motor. Most of the window switches come out without removing the entire panel.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #5

Windrider -----

Thank you. Sounds like good advice and it's a good thing they invented duct tape!

You asked why I needed to remove the inner door panel. When I bought the motorhome (used), I never received a key to the lock on the driver's side door. A couple of months ago, the latch on the main entrance door broke making the entrance door unable to open. This got my attention and I thought what a mess I would have been in if the driver's door had been locked!

Now, I need to remove the inner panel from the driver's door so I can remove the door handle and lock and either have a key made to fit the existing lock or have the lock replaced. The only way to remove the latch/lock assembly is from inside the door.

Until I can get a key for the driver's door, I've jusy been leaving one of the sliding windows unlocked so I can climb in a window if I ever get locked out of the motorhome again.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Take the make, model and VIN, number, and registration to a good locksmith, not Lowe's or Home Depot, and see if they can make a key. A car dealer of the same make may be able to make a key, i.e. Ford if it is a Ford chassis. I also failed to mention window crank in case it is manual window. Most have a clip behind them, some have a screw through the middle, often hid by a stick on trim piece.
Good Luck
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote