Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
Always Learning

Replacing skylight

I reported a while ago about a leaky skylight. It was slathered with Dicor as a stop gap; it was fine for a while but has started to leak again.m

I normally would call a mobile RV tech, but I'd be paying for 2 visits- one to tell me, "yup, it needs replaced", they'd order it, and then a second to come install it. I feel like it can't be that hard to do it myself:
- remove screws on inside cover
- remove Dicor on outside cover
- find and remove outside screws
- remove skylight
- place new one in position and reverse steps

I *think* the only hard part is removing the Dicor. I don't know how to do that and not damage the roof.

And for the reinstall- would you opt for Dicor or Eternabond?

And bluntly- given my know how, would you recommend I just call someone?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Always Learning

Has anyone replaced their skylight before?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Has anyone replaced their skylight before?
Doug, you can do it, just be patient and get in the right mind set that you are just as competent as anyone else.

Use a hair dryer to soften the Dicor and a putty knife and be prepared for a time consuming, messy job. Plenty of paper towels to put the removed debris in, acetone to clean. I would use Eternabond over the screws and rope caulking under the flange of the skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rope caulk.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	102564  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Use a hair dryer to soften the Dicor and be prepared for a time consuming, messy job. Plenty of paper towels to put the removed debris in, acetone to clean. I would use Eternabond over the screws and rope caulking under the flange of the skylight.

Rope caulk?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Rope caulk?
It comes in about 1" wide strips of individual beads that you can separate if needed. Just make sure it's warm. It's kinda like the old dum dum car manufacturers used years ago. You can make balls out of it for holes, etc. Good stuff and never hardens.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It comes in about 1" wide strips of individual beads that you can separate if needed. Just make sure it's warm. It's kinda like the old dum dum car manufacturers used years ago. You can make balls out of it for holes, etc. Good stuff and never hardens.

Thanks. I'll look it up.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

A plastic putty knife would be my choice. Round the corners off with a file
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

When I did mine I replaced it with a Lexan Skylight. Butyl tape under the flange. 8 pre drilled screw holes in the flange to secure to roof and 4 inch wide Eternabond tape covering the flange (and screw heads) completely with sufficient overlap onto the roof (used small roller on Eternabond). Toughest part was removal of old lap sealant. Never had an issue from then on.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
When I did mine I replaced it with a Lexan Skylight. Butyl tape under the flange. 8 pre drilled screw holes in the flange to secure to roof and 4 inch wide Eternabond tape covering the flange (and screw heads) completely with sufficient overlap onto the roof (used small roller on Eternabond). Toughest part was removal of old lap sealant. Never had an issue from then on.

Where did you get your skylight? And any more tips on removing the old sealant/how do I remove it?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

I like these guys.

Watch, enjoy, have fun.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Where did you get your skylight? And any more tips on removing the old sealant/how do I remove it?
I ordered from: Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc. and is the same size as the one in the video from bb920. My roof is EPDM and just used a scraper very carefully to remove the sealant. Didn't apply heat but it may help. The Lexan skylights are unbreakable and are expensive but beats having to replace every few years from cracking and breakage of plastic ones and the number of screws is drastically reduced from the original. Flange is not predrilled. Using butyl tape and Eternabond allowed only 8 screws needed for the size shown in the bb920 video.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #12

Measured the skylight and ordered a Lexan one. I used vmp naptha to remove the Dicor that was around the skylight. That was what was recommended for the manufacturer of the TPO roof. Took awhile to do that. Really the most time consuming part. The new skylight was not drilled. Drilled holes about every three inches. Drill oversize to allow for expansion/ movement. Bedded it with Dicor and used stainless screws. Then covered screws and lip over with more Dicor. The worst part of the job was sitting or kneeling on the roof in the hot Florida sun. Just could not get comfortable. Also I removed the bezel from inside and vacuumed the styrofoam beads that I shook out during the process. Not a bad job if you can work in an awkward position for about an hour. I ordered the skylight off the internet from a vendor who made them to order by dimensions I sent to them. EZ Tops

I was one of the people who received the letter from FR that mine may crack but it was not cracked at the time. I think Lexan is the way to go because it should outlast the trailer. Cost is more but once and done, I hope.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
Measured the skylight and ordered a Lexan one.... EZ Tops
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb920 View Post
I like these guys.
Did you guys remove the skylight to send dimensions? I can't have a big hole for 14 days while I wait for this thing to be shipped (nevermind that I'll be on the move in 2 weeks).
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

No, I did not. I just took careful measurements as it said on the web site. The holes you drill will probably never match. Had to drill them myself, over size. Filed the sharp edges on the Lexan and corners to remove any stress points. Countersunk the holes in the Lexan both sides to prevent possible cracking.

As long as measurements are little large it was OK. Also the sheet of clear plastic that is attached to the bezel around the hole I re-did double sided tape to secure that better. You are not trying to exactly match the old bubble, just be sure the bubble is correct for size of hole and flange big enough to cover. From inside you can not tell and outside the Dicor covers the flange and screws. Small errors in size will probably be be of no consequence as long as it is slightly bigger. Too small could be a problem. Also if I remember it took a little while to get new on. May want to check on delivery if you are on a deadline. Good Luck.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
jsk

Quote:
I reported a while ago about a leaky skylight. It was slathered with Dicor as a stop gap; it was fine for a while but has started to leak again.?

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS
Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
jsk

My fingers got away from me so I had 2 posts (quote above). How did you determine leak was at skylight? Or did you trace it back to skylight and had water elsewhere? On our last trip we found damp carpet on floor in bedroom slide on side closest to the shower. I have not seen anything obvious so have to look a little harder. Was wondering if skylight was a possibility?

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Doug,
I called FR and ordered it. I think it was $47 shipped. If you can wait until Monday, I can look up the email and the girls name that sent me mine. PM me your email address and I'll forward it to you. I have my new skylight, I just haven't got up there to replace it yet. It took a small limb strike and I covered the small hole with some black gorilla tape. It has held up well, but I need to fix it.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Did you guys remove the skylight to send dimensions? I can't have a big hole for 14 days while I wait for this thing to be shipped (nevermind that I'll be on the move in 2 weeks).
You probably have the same smoke colored skylight as I do on mine. The measurements on mine is 40" long by 25 1/2" wide. FR looked mine up by VIN.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Food for thought...I went with white lexan when replacing my cracked skylight last year...it noticeably cut down on heat transmitted through and lets in MORE than enough light. Love it! I purchased mine from the above posted link (EZ Tops).

I found the hardest part of the job to be standing so long on the ladder rungs during the time consuming butyl tape removal stage. I did some of the work from the roof, but most from a ladder due to my skylight being right on the edge of the roof.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
My fingers got away from me so I had 2 posts (quote above). How did you determine leak was at skylight? Or did you trace it back to skylight and had water elsewhere? On our last trip we found damp carpet on floor in bedroom slide on side closest to the shower. I have not seen anything obvious so have to look a little harder. Was wondering if skylight was a possibility?

My leak is literally right into the shower.

I had the edge of my slide leak. A little gutter in there broke and had to be glued back together.

I also have had wet carpet in the bedroom that I never did find a source for. It happened twice and then never came back.

Tags
light