Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Sagging Awning and Bent Tube

Hi, We're new owners of a Vcross 32. It has a 20' awning that is electric. Very nice, but it will not retract fully due to sagging under its own weight. The Tube appears to be in need of support or something. Sags retracted or when deployed. Never over stressed from rain, and have only used it about 6 times.
On discussion with the service center, they say that Forrest River will not authorize replacement of the tube. FR will authorize "adjusting" the arms, which in my view is a temporary fix. Has anyone else run into this issue, or lack of support from FR?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

No, but there is a fix (permanent) for the "sagging tube" problem in long awnings.

Check out RV Awning Repair | MegaX57
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Now why didn't I think of that!
More importantly, why doesn't the factory put reinforcements in these very long awning tubes?
20 feet is a loooooooonnnngg awning!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan941 View Post
Hi, We're new owners of a Vcross 32. It has a 20' awning that is electric. Very nice, but it will not retract fully due to sagging under its own weight. The Tube appears to be in need of support or something. Sags retracted or when deployed. Never over stressed from rain, and have only used it about 6 times.
On discussion with the service center, they say that Forrest River will not authorize replacement of the tube. FR will authorize "adjusting" the arms, which in my view is a temporary fix. Has anyone else run into this issue, or lack of support from FR?
The "sagging" tube is one thing, but the not nesting properly or not "retracting fully" might be something else altogether. If the awning fabric shifts a bit one way or the other over time at the tube end, then the arms will not fully nest when retracted. The solution to this is to re-position the fabric at the tube end of the awning. This can be done when the awning is extended - have someone release the tension by lifting the tube a bit while a second person re-positions the fabric back to it's original position by grasping the fabric and pulling it in the appropriate direction. To accomplish this, the awning needs to be extended to the point that the slot in the tube is in a direct line to the trailer wall. (ie - not wrapped around the tube at all)
Some folks have installed a pop rivet through the fabric at the tube end to prevent the fabric from shifting.

The sagging of wide awning tubes seems to be a very common occurance, and is not a warranty-covered item, as you have discovered. Herk's suggestion is probably the best route to take, but is a fairly complex DIY job.

...VTX-Al
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Not unrolling the awning "completely" will help avoid "sagging".

Over extended, (the fabric is 90 degrees to the roller) like the image, the roller gets no support from the awning material.

If the awning material crosses over the top of the roller when open, (touches the roller at the top, not the side), when it is open, the awning material will add to the roller's strength.

This will not FIX a bent roller, but will help prevent the condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2713704920103306375S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	20292  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

[QUOTE=herk7769;261299]Not unrolling the awning "completely" will help avoid "sagging".

Over extended, (the fabric is 90 degrees to the roller) like the image, the roller gets no support from the awning material.

If the awning material crosses over the top of the roller when open, (touches the roller at the top, not the side), when it is open, the awning material will add to the roller's strength. QUOTE]

You got me scratching my head on that one!
But you could be right.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not unrolling the awning "completely" will help avoid "sagging".

If the awning material crosses over the top of the roller when open, (touches the roller at the top, not the side), when it is open, the awning material will add to the roller's strength.

This will not FIX a bent roller, but will help prevent the condition.
I agree with what Herk is saying, but on the image shown and on my new 5er, the arms are not straight when the material is over the top of the tube. On the 5er, I can adjust the arms to be straight, but on the one in the image, neither arm was adjustable. The adjustable arms did not go into production until sometime in 09 after numerous complaints of not being able to tilt the awning for rain runoff.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I agree with what Herk is saying, but on the image shown and on my new 5er, the arms are not straight when the material is over the top of the tube. On the 5er, I can adjust the arms to be straight, but on the one in the image, neither arm was adjustable. The adjustable arms did not go into production until sometime in 09 after numerous complaints of not being able to tilt the awning for rain runoff.
The arms will not be "straight" with the awning material on the top of the tube; at least on mine (which is adjustable but I don't "adjust" them). The technique of leaving a quarter wrap on the roller has been covered before in a previous thread. This is just my opinion and don't want to rehash the logic all over again.

You can always buy the intermediate "rafter."

If you want to try it; fine. If not; happy camping.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 052959-001r2 Rafter VII.pdf (594.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf AwningManual.pdf (330.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 Power Awning User Guide.pdf (404.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
I wouldn't adjust and lock the arms in position just to make them look straight. It would be too easy to forget and try rolling up the awning, causing an unknown amount of damage.
I always leave mine loose, even if they don't look straight.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I wouldn't adjust and lock the arms in position just to make them look straight. It would be too easy to forget and try rolling up the awning, causing an unknown amount of damage.
I always leave mine loose, even if they don't look straight.
I don't think I said I adjusted the arms to be straight. I mearly stated that to get the material to help support the tube as Herk stated the arms would not be straight. I extend the awning completely out, leave the arms loose and deploy the support poles with the side farthest away from the door about 6"-12" lower for runoff and stake it down. Also, it is only a 15' awning and doesn't bow anyway.

If I had a 20' awning, I would invest in the MX57 reinforcement and forget about using the material for support.

In my opinion, not extending the awning to the full extent puts a load on the motor when the wind buffets the material and trys to unroll the awning more. So it is whatever floats your boat. I've never lost an awning or had one damaged since our 1st one in 76, so will continue with the full extension of the material.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #11

[QUOTE=dunnnc;261370]On the 5er, I can adjust the arms to be straight[QUOTE]

Just for clarity.
I just wouldn't want someone tightening their adjustable awning arms, forgetting about it, and damaging their awning. It could happen far too easily.
I think we can put this discussion to rest.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=dunnnc;261370]On the 5er, I can adjust the arms to be straight[QUOTE]

Just for clarity.
I just wouldn't want someone tightening their adjustable awning arms, forgetting about it, and damaging their awning. It could happen far too easily.
I think we can put this discussion to rest

CAN, NOT DID, big difference!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #13

Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
In my opinion, not extending the awning to the full extent puts a load on the motor when the wind buffets the material and trys to unroll the awning more.
This is a valid point, but I am not sure if the drag on the motor is a problem or not. It does flop around a bit in a wind. Hopefully when I install the awning "legs" mod I will never have to worry about this again.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I agree that this should be put to bed.
The thread is closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
awning, bent