Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Sagging door won’t lock from outside

One of our entrance doors seems to be slightly out of square, making it necessary to lift the door by the interior handle to lock the deadbolt. The other lock doesn’t work at all, and the screen door rubs and scrapes on the threshold. What can be done to fix this? The door is pre hung in the frame with the screen door, and there are no loose screws. Any advice would be appreciated!

SlyCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #2

If it is just a deadbolt problem, possibly adjusting the deadbolt strike plate is all that is necessary? Or removing the strike plate and enlarging the opening. Possibly there is nothing wrong with the door or its hinges and there is a more serious problem with coach? One thing that might be tried if possible to accomplish, would be to shim the lower door hinge and the middle door hinge, shimming the lower hinge more than the middle. If doing that is possible, since I cannot see the door or hinges in question. If the hinges are riveted to the door and door frame, then I would try carefully bending stuff. Bending stuff can cause real damage and make the situation worst. A real nightmare if you know what I mean. However, I might try taking a piece of 2x4 wood to place under the door and use a hydraulic bottle jack on the bottom of the door (jacking the bottom side having to be raised by hand to close), opposite the door hinges. Doing so, is going to bend the bottom door hinge away from the door frame, making the side of the door opposite the door hinges fit closer to the side of the door frame and lift that side of the door that is now being lifted to close it. If going to such an extreme and risking permanent damage, make very small adjustment with the jack, just until the door works acceptably and no more. In this situation, more is not better. It is always best to make non-permanent adjustments, adjustments that can be redone as needed rather than bending things to fit. Again, there may be a serious structural problem with the coach and the door is only a symptom of something much more serious going on. Sometimes frame flex can cause a door to miss align when leveling a coach. Make sure the door is adjusted with the coach sitting on level ground and on its own suspension rather than leveling jacks or blocks.

Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 AM   #3

Get it fixed NOW before lifting the door doesn't work and you have to destroy the door to get it opened. It's a matter of adjusting the striker plate. Or as stated making the hole in the door jam bigger to compensate for the sag. Just like it's done in your house. Examine the door very carefully and see if you see signs of rubbing meaning door sag.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

If there are no adjustments possible in the hinges, which I suspect is the case, I would remove the entire door/frame and remount it plumb. If the door cut out has gotten whacky (technical term) you might have to do some trimming to get the door frame plumb.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

Is the RV level ?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

I agree with Deconblue. Check the level first. Frames bend and flex and if the unit isn't level and stable, (like when someone uses the stabilizer jacks to level) it can flex enough to make the doors hard to open and close. Sometimes just adjusting the stabilizers can free up the door.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #7

If the screen door is saggintg and hitting the threshhold the problem is not with the striker plates.

Either the door has twisted in the frame, or, one side or the other of the door has been moved. Either the hinge side has dropped or the striker side has been raised. (think of a rectangle shifting into a parallelogram)

More than likely the striker side has been raised along with the frame with a stabilizer jack. If it is the hinge side down you can try a portable jack beneath the hinge side lifting the frame to see that helps solve the issue.

You could also try shimming the hinges. Leave the top one alone and put a thin shim, (like a matchbook cover) between the middle hinge and the door. Use two matchbook covers on the bottom one. This will have the effect of lifting the bottom of the door on the striker side. Varying the thickness of the ships will provide varying amounts of lift. Start small, work up to thicker shims. This is an old Carpenters trick for squaring old doors when the houses foundation or frame have shifted.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
I agree with Deconblue. Check the level first. Frames bend and flex and if the unit isn't level and stable, (like when someone uses the stabilizer jacks to level) it can flex enough to make the doors hard to open and close. Sometimes just adjusting the stabilizers can free up the door.
Best answer...check the level,especially the stabilizer jacks. That is probably your problem.

Tags
door, lock