Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Salem hemisphere 368rlbh window shades

We just picked up our new fw and the windows shades close to where the cords are screwed in which is about 2 inches short of closing to cover the whole window on all the windows. This seems strange to us that closing the shades leaves a 2" gap still open. Is there a reason for this or are we doing something wrong?
Cooperville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #2

Ok, so nobody knows what I'm talking about? I guess I'll take it back to my dealer.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Are they the pleated shades? Are the cord tension keepers just mounted too high? If so, they won't let you pull them down further. A picture would be most helpful to offer some thoughts on addressing the problem.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

I believe that is the problem, the keepers are mounted too high. But every window throughout the unit is the same way. I will get a picture up soon. Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperville View Post
I believe that is the problem, the keepers are mounted too high. But every window throughout the unit is the same way. I will get a picture up soon. Thanks
Same person on the line installs all of them and maybe a newbie or maybe off day. In ours, and all units with the same kitchen slide, built over a few weeks had the aluminum mini blind wind holds all mounted spaced 2" wider than the blinds! The slide out boxes are pre-assembled with everything beforehand...

Let's see what your picture shows and if we can spare a dealer visit.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

We have a 2015 Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL and one window shade was crooked. It was the top window in the bunkroom. DH worked and worked and worked with it and finally got it as straight as could be after retying the strings on the little wall holder things. Not perfect and still a bit short but it's behind a desk hutch that we added so it's not a big deal. Sure wouldn't like it if more windows had been done like this one. First picture should be the crooked shade, the second picture the straightened shade. Is this the type of problem you had?

EDIT: He did have to redo one side of the top of the shade because it was not level with the other side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1340.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	72624   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1571-001.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	72625  
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427825658.402117.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	72649Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427825684.172738.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	72650

Here's how every window is done.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #8

Well, I don't want to be a negative nellie but they don't even cover the window. Can you untie the sides (carefully) and and try to work them longer and then redo where the bottom tie downs (sorry don't know what they're called) are put into the wall? That's going to leave small holes where they were originally installed but those are just way too high. If all your windows are like that, I would definitely talk to the dealer cos your unit has lots of windows!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #9

Keepers are no big deal to adjust, but your curtains look like their bottom brackets are too high. Simply remove the keepers from one window on both sides and see if the blind closes properly them. They actually require little effort to adjust once located properly. You just need to understand the cords go through them to clamp. You adjust tension till equal, then tie off.

If the blind hits the curtain bracket, you'll need to rehang them. Frustrating, I know! You'll notice most of the blinds aren't mounted correctly and are just screwed to the wall by running screws through the head... Sole reason why is because the dumb choices by the interior decorator with the curtain hardware and no clue about how a tape measure works...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

Thank you. I think the curtain brackets will be ok. I guess my real question was if this was for a reason that I wasn't aware of. If not I'm I obviously going to now be upset with the fact that I have to move them all and every window of a brand new unit will have holes in the walls. I hope this camper turns out to be better than it has been so far when I start using it. The purchase and delivery process with the dealership was terrible and now this problem from the factory. Smh
Old 03-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperville View Post
Thank you. I think the curtain brackets will be ok. I guess my real question was if this was for a reason that I wasn't aware of. If not I'm I obviously going to now be upset with the fact that I have to move them all and every window of a brand new unit will have holes in the walls. I hope this camper turns out to be better than it has been so far when I start using it. The purchase and delivery process with the dealership was terrible and now this problem from the factory. Smh
Believe me, I understand! Over the years I've mastered coloring putty to camper paneling... Scratches, holes, defects in anything get to me so I repair them. There are some opaque push-in plugs that can obscure the holes too. Fortunately, it's a relatively blind area.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #12

Yeah. The plugs is what I was thinking also. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #13

Hi everyone - We are brand new to the forum and picked up our new Salem Hemisphere 299RE a very recently. We have the exact same problem with the window shades and I just sent photos to our dealer about it. Information in this thread was very helpful.

Hopefully we will get some resolution from the dealer this week.
kazman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #14

Just an update on my situation. We are still waiting for new shades to come in. When we took ours back to the dealer they found that all of our shades were too short for the windows and had to order new ones. This is simply amazing to me, how dumb do you have to be to install window shades that are too short to cover the windows and what about some qc.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #15

Update on my window shades

We ended up returning our unit to the dealer who resolved all but two of our window shade issues. For some reason, they just didn't fix two of them - not sure why.

After complaining about that issue, the sent me two new shades which my wife and I installed ourselves. So we are finally good to go.
kazman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem