Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Always Learning

Screwing into door and camper wall

I'm going to install a magnetic door catch for our doors. Right now, they have struts that keep the door from opening more than 90-degrees. It's silly as there is nothing in the way.

What do I need to know about screwing into the door and keeping it all water tight?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

That's exactly what I used on our interior doors. Not sure how they would hold outside in a breeze.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

What do I need to know about screwing into the door and keeping it all water tight?
Keeping things water tight is easy. Apply some sealer/caulk to the screw before putting it into a pre-drilled hole.

Hardest part is making sure you have enough structural strength to support whatever you are mounting. Depending on the door/camper wall, you usually have a thin material on the outside, some thin material on the inside, and some foam (just like the formed styrofoam used to protect edges and corners on TV sets when you unbox them) between the two surfaces.

If you can't find a structural member to firmly secure your door catch to it might be a good idea to use a piece of backer material on the inside. A piece of 3/16" aluminum plate pre-drilled to the bolt pattern of your device. Drill through the wall/door, apply some sealer to the bottom of the device, insert machine screws (preferably stainless) through the wall, then using a sealer/adhesive, apply enough to coat the side of the backer plate that will face the inner surface of wall/door. The plate should be twice to 3 times the area of the outside device. Put backer plate over screws and secure with nuts. Tighten until it just starts to compress he sandwich but not to the point you can see "dips". The backer plate will distribute any leverage forces on the door or wall which should keep the device from loosening or breaking out a piece of wall/door.

May seem like overkill but it may be the only way to keep a door that slams agains the stop/catch from breaking a hole in the side of your camper. It of course will depend on how strong your camper door/wall is so act accordingly. Like I said at first, sealing out water is the easy part

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
That's exactly what I used on our interior doors. Not sure how they would hold outside in a breeze.
I actually think they'll do OK in the breeze. But what I didn't think of is how they'll hold up to the elements....

Though, it does claim to be stainless steel.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Keeping things water tight is easy. Apply some sealer/caulk to the screw before putting it into a pre-drilled hole.

May seem like overkill but it may be the only way to keep a door that slams agains the stop/catch from breaking a hole in the side of your camper. It of course will depend on how strong your camper door/wall is so act accordingly. Like I said at first, sealing out water is the easy part
Good info. Thanks, Titanic.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm going to install a magnetic door catch for our doors. Right now, they have struts that keep the door from opening more than 90-degrees. It's silly as there is nothing in the way.

Be sure your door hinges are designed to go 180 degrees. Are any vents gonna be behind the opened doors? Light fixtures?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Be sure your door hinges are designed to go 180 degrees. Are any vents gonna be behind the opened doors? Light fixtures?
Good point on the hinge. I'll pop the strut off and will check how the door goes.

No other obstructions.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #8

Where do you get these. I have had the wind catch my 90 degree door twice and break the strut. I agree... it is stupid to have a door that goes only 90 degrees.
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
Where do you get these. I have had the wind catch my 90 degree door twice and break the strut. I agree... it is stupid to have a door that goes only 90 degrees.
Rather than a strut I almost would prefer the old screen door chain and shock absorbing spring method.

Attached at the outer corner of the door and at corner of door frame maximizes holding strength if the wind catches the door.

To "beautify" the chain/spring, wrap it in a layer of felt formed into a tube.

A simple bungee cord for a "Hold open" device.

As you might notice, I'm more into function than beauty. If the door is being held open at 90 degrees with a bungee cord that's a great place to hang a towel or swimsuit too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Screwing into door and camper wall

My door was fairly sturdy, but was filled with foam. I ended up putting some liquid nails on the back and using screws to hold it while the glue dried, then just a small bead off silicone around the outside. I had considered the backer plate option, but it just seemed like over kill and I can’t stand the looks of it. This was on our old camper, had it 4 yrs and never had a problem
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Rather than a strut I almost would prefer the old screen door chain and shock absorbing spring method.

Attached at the outer corner of the door and at corner of door frame maximizes holding strength if the wind catches the door.

To "beautify" the chain/spring, wrap it in a layer of felt formed into a tube.

A simple bungee cord for a "Hold open" device.

As you might notice, I'm more into function than beauty. If the door is being held open at 90 degrees with a bungee cord that's a great place to hang a towel or swimsuit too.
Good idea. I'm going to CW in Portland today if it stops snowing and explore some options. I think i like the chain and spring too. Maybe put a catch on the fully open part and unhook the chain if i want the door to stay open
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #12

What is the reason for the 90 degrees hold open?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
My indoor one came from Home Depot.

This particular one is on Amazon. I don't think HD had all black ones which is what I want due to coloring of the door and lower panel:
https://www.amazon.com/MATEE-Stainle...dp/B074VQVT3K/
Old 03-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What is the reason for the 90 degrees hold open?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #15

Magnetic door latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post

We had our dealer install one of these outside our Rockwood 8299 5th wheel. It is near the clasp that holds the door from closing in a breeze. Our door did open all the way, though before that. The magnet holds securely so far and all we have to do is reach around and grab the door to close it. That in itself is very useful if it starts to rain.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayart View Post
We had our dealer install one of these outside our Rockwood 8299 5th wheel. It is near the clasp that holds the door from closing in a breeze. Our door did open all the way, though before that. The magnet holds securely so far and all we have to do is reach around and grab the door to close it. That in itself is very useful if it starts to rain.
I would also use some 3M commercial two sided adhesive tape (red plastic peel off).
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #17

All exterior penetrations are usually sealed with butyl. It squeezes into spaces to exclude water and excess can be easily cleaned away.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #18

BTW, in my opinion, silicone has NO usefulness on/in/near an RV......YMMV.
TRavel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
BTW, in my opinion, silicone has NO usefulness on/in/near an RV......YMMV.
TRavel safe
:trin k39:
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #20

On mine the wind took the original setup off the door pulling the screws out. I ended up taking a white powered coated plate (the ones that come inside electric panels) and I used some double sided tape on the back and remounted the clasp part to the plate on the door then sealed around the plate with Dicor been on door since and no more problems. That double sided tape is really great.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, door