Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Slide Awning necessary?

Hello all,

We are looking at a Surveyor Sport 220. It does not have an awning over the slide. The dealer says they are more trouble than they are worth (problems in wind/heavy rain). I'm worried about leaves, pine needles, etc. building up on the slide top if we are camped under trees for a week or so. Will that not cause problems when we close the slide? Thanks in advance for any insights.
oldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Infractee

In the wind they will flap, unless you install a de-flapper. The rain is no issue, watter runs off it, if you have the trailer leveled correctly (slightly nose high) the water will run off and not pool up. As you retract the slide the awning rolls up away from camper, so any crud on top just rolls off it before it wraps around the roller. I would not be without one, I can not imagine having all the rain, leaves, pine needles etc. being on top of my slide! You would need to clean it every time you retracted the slide or risk some of the crud coming inside with it.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

X2
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Site Team

the Dometic slidetopper has a built-in deflapper. we had ours installed 6 years ago and NEVER had any problems with it and would NEVER be without one. especially for the reasons the OP gave.
we love ours and it was well worth the money, except we should've had it installed before we picked up the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
NELA

One thing that I didn't like about our former V-Lite was that the curb side slide didn't have a topper, presumably because the awning covered that slide.

We parked it in the back yard for several days with the slides out but left the awning in. grrrrr ya shoulda seen all the leaves on top of that slide. DH was retracting the slide and I didn't notice all the leaves until the slide stopped a good 4 inches short.....there were that many leaves crushed up against the side. It took a while to get up there and get all those wet leaves off. That happened on the day we were taking it in for trade-in. Certainly if we'd kept 'er, a topper would have been installed there, pronto.

New fiver has toppers on *all* slides, even the curb side slide that the awning covers.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Experienced a problem with my new Forester 3051 a couple of weeks ago with the slide awning. Everything seemed to be fine with the awning when we packed-up at the park until we got on the interstate. The awning started to unwind itself twice while driving. Both times I had to pull off the highway to extend and retract the slide to ensure the awning retracted properly. While on top of the RV, I noticed the stopper was not making contact with the anti-bellowing device. Thank goodness my wife was following me and noticed the awning was unwrapping. I have added this check to my checklist before I leave a park in the future. I do believe the awning is a MUST for slides but extra care must be taken to prevent damage to your RV.

Frank
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Always Learning

I've never had wind issues and will always have slide toppers.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. You confirmed what I thought. Seemed crazy not to have one. I think the dealer was just trying to sell the TT "as is". I will make the topper part of the purchase.

bikendan - The Dometic looks sweet, I will pursue it.

Thank you again. This is a great forum. I have learned a ton reading the old posts.
oldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #9

I wish I'd have had one put on mine when I ordered it. Houston RV show is next month and I might have to see if I can find a deal on one there.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 AM   #10

If your going to camping in the trees and forested areas and little to no wind get the toppers. If your going to be in tree-less areas and high winds no.....or have them installed but not hooked up to the main wall. I have toppers on my 3 slides, no leafy tree within 500 yards but I live on the water and winds are an issue....the toppers flap horribly and make enough noise to wake the dead. I am dealing with 40 - 60 MPH winds tonight and have the windward slide in due to the flapping...P.I.T.A.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
If your going to camping in the trees and forested areas and little to no wind get the toppers. If your going to be in tree-less areas and high winds no.....or have them installed but not hooked up to the main wall. I have toppers on my 3 slides, no leafy tree within 500 yards but I live on the water and winds are an issue....the toppers flap horribly and make enough noise to wake the dead. I am dealing with 40 - 60 MPH winds tonight and have the windward slide in due to the flapping...P.I.T.A.

Puff you can make your own deflappers for slide toppers, have seen them here and elsewhere. I made mine from $10 of PVC pipe & glue for the 2 slides on our last camper, will be doing it again for the 3 slides on new camper when it arrives. Only downside is now that I am getting a 5th wheel I will need either a ladder or some sort of installation/removal tool for them.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

7' Double-Sided Rung Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D7 - Ladders - Camping World

Be sure and check the video at the bottom.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Infractee

That is a nice setup right there! Like the folding feature, very unique!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
That is a nice setup right there! Like the folding feature, very unique!
It will fit in the same size tube as a slinky hose and @ only 25 pounds.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Had them added to all three RVs and never any wind noise or any other trouble. Would not have a camper without them. I think your dealer may have inadequate service dept and is worried about installation, which isn't that hard either.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #16
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
It will fit in the same size tube as a slinky hose and @ only 25 pounds.

I could not find the weight capacity on the ladder. I am a *wee* bit heavier than the blonde doing the demo....
Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #17

Quote:
I could not find the weight capacity on the ladder. I am a *wee* bit heavier than the blonde doing the demo....
It is rated @225lb

Safe, stable ladders are designed for compact storage. Sturdy, anti-slip rungs. Strong, lightweight anodized aluminum resists corrosion. Rubberized PVC anti-skid feet hold ladders in place without marring the side of your RV. Two sets of rungs let you climb from either side. Completely assembled. Type II 225 lb. commercial rating; meets or exceeds ANSI and OSHA specifications. - See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping....SwgQpVne.dpuf
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #18

If your dealer is telling you that, get a new dealer.. This is likely only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what is wrong with the dealer.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
It is rated @225lb

Safe, stable ladders are designed for compact storage. Sturdy, anti-slip rungs. Strong, lightweight anodized aluminum resists corrosion. Rubberized PVC anti-skid feet hold ladders in place without marring the side of your RV. Two sets of rungs let you climb from either side. Completely assembled. Type II 225 lb. commercial rating; meets or exceeds ANSI and OSHA specifications. - See more at: 7' Double-Sided Rung Ladder - GP Logistics SLD-D7 - Ladders - Camping World

Hmmmm.... maybe I can get Me Wife to climb the ladder..... Hell, who am I kidding, she gets the nervous shakes standing on a stepstool....
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Puff you can make your own deflappers for slide toppers, have seen them here and elsewhere. I made mine from $10 of PVC pipe & glue for the 2 slides on our last camper, will be doing it again for the 3 slides on new camper when it arrives. Only downside is now that I am getting a 5th wheel I will need either a ladder or some sort of installation/removal tool for them.

Yes, I have thought about this and others of a tube or ? or ? My only problem is that I get some high winds and the slide needs to come in. If I have all this stuff under the topper on the slide well it would all have to come down first. My my ideal choice.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide