Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

Lots of debate on these Titanium-X. Some wouldn't be without them, others would never consider them. Alot depends on how and where you camp like ironj said and how often you camp. If you go out a couple times a year they probably won't pay for themselves. If you camp alot in sunny conditions then yes. We've never had them on the 4 campers w/slide outs we've owned.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

They are worth every penny.
We didn't have them on our first camper, but do now. There are too many advantages to list.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Unnecessary frills. The next thing ya know we'll be talking about wireless remote control electric awnings. Really? Will the search for convenience never end.

LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Unnecessary frills. The next thing ya know we'll be talking about wireless remote control electric awnings. Really? Will the search for convenience never end.

LOL
Slideout awnings are not just a convenience. They serve many practical purposes. Besides keeping detritous off the slide roof, they drastically reduce the chance of water getting past the slides seals in heavy rain, they keep the slide cooler in the blazing sun, and also protect the upper slide seal from the deteriorating effects of full sun exposure.
It seems that the only people who don't recommend slide awnings are those who don't have them. And if you don't have them, can you really provide an informed opinion?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #15

We love our slide toppers! Had them factory installed when we special ordered the RV. Many advantages as previously stated. Last week, we had over 2 inches of wet snow fall overnight. In the AM, I brought all three slides in then put them out again and all that heavy snow fell to the ground before it could freeze in place or damage the toppers from the weight. We've had the toppers flop around a little in high wind but not enough to worry about.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Slideout awnings are not just a convenience. They serve many practical purposes. Besides keeping detritous off the slide roof, they drastically reduce the chance of water getting past the slides seals in heavy rain, they keep the slide cooler in the blazing sun, and also protect the upper slide seal from the deteriorating effects of full sun exposure.
It seems that the only people who don't recommend slide awnings are those who don't have them. And if you don't have them, can you really provide an informed opinion?
X2 bakken. Well spoken. It amazes me how the folks that have never had them can be that well informed as to list the dis-advantages of them.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

LOL
I think their are some people who have that already installed. If I remember right there is a thread already on that. I think it's an add on with a remote. I think of it like a boat you just keep pouring money down the hole, but people love frills. I know I do not need LED lights outside but after reading today's post on them, Damn I want them now. This forum cost me hundreds of $$$$$. But nobody is twisting my arm........
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think their are some people who have that already installed. If I remember right there is a thread already on that. I think it's an add on with a remote. I think of it like a boat you just keep pouring money down the hole, but people love frills. I know I do not need LED lights outside but after reading today's post on them, Damn I want them now. This forum cost me hundreds of $$$$$. But nobody is twisting my arm........
Only hundreds of $$$$? You're just saying that to hide the real outlay from somebody. I wonder who????
Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #19

I've never had them and never wished I had them, but according to everyone on here they cure baldness, memory loss and umm...geez what was that other thing?? I will give them more thought on my next RV since I can see some advantages.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #20

I only have one slide-out so it won't kill me to try one. I'm thinking $500-$700 to let the stealer put one on. It won't be tomorrow, but sometime this season between trips. I camp in both hot open areas and under the cover of trees. I used to climb on the roof of my old camper and sweep off the slide before cranking it in, so I can see some benefits there. If it will keep the slide a little cooler and protect the seals, that would also be a plus.

TT: 2010 Flagstaff 27BHSS; TV: 2002 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke, 3.73 LS
2015: 11 total days camped
Huntsville Space Center, AL; William Bankhead National Forest, AL; and Gulf State Park, AL
Titanium-X is offline   Reply With Quote