Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Slideout awnings are not just a convenience. They serve many practical purposes. Besides keeping detritous off the slide roof, they drastically reduce the chance of water getting past the slides seals in heavy rain, they keep the slide cooler in the blazing sun, and also protect the upper slide seal from the deteriorating effects of full sun exposure.
It seems that the only people who don't recommend slide awnings are those who don't have them. And if you don't have them, can you really provide an informed opinion?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT LOL MEANS.

It was joke, lighten up.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #22

I found out about them online before I had even decided on which TT to get, and had them put on before I picked it up. The $500 -$700 is cheap compared to the cost of replacing seals should you accidentally close the slide out with a branch on top. With my disabilities, climbing up to clean them isn't an option either. Didn't think about the heat benefits. Love this site! I learn something new every day!
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
DO YOU KNOW WHAT LOL MEANS.

It was joke, lighten up.
My advice, don't apply for the comedian job.
LOL
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #24

Anybody else have problems with the spring becoming too tight on slide topper?
brian mccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I would not have another RV without them. The plus's are no more bringing in dirt on top of the slide or water. Also over my table, is a light and the electrical wire lays on top and then penetrates through the roof of the slide. So it also protects that. As far as the wind, It really has to blow for it to flop around enough to bother you. I have seen other campers use a PVC frame at the ends or even seen blown up rafts or beach balls installed when it get's windy. I have learned that if you bring your slide in a little it will stop the flopping. but you can still use the space. They are spring loaded and it depends on the tension. Dometic I think are the best brands....... you will love them !!!!!!!!!! get the best fabric in mils. I think they call it.
Hi Witch Doctor,

I had a look at the Dometic website and couldn't find these listed. Do you have a link?

Regards,

Bruce

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #26

I also had the slide toppers factory installed at significantly less cost than after the sale mounting. Honestly , I like the concept. BUT, the ends of both slide top seals are torn for about 6-8 " on each end and now have to be replaced with the corresponding removal of the slide toppers. I can only guess what that will cost!

... and yes, the seals were frequently treated with the 303 Protectorant. The only thing that makes any sense as to WHY,... is that on the outer flashing of the slides there is a mitered corner that has what appears to be a piece of black eternabond over the seam on all the corners and it appears to have " moved" slightly( from the heat this year) leaving some of that real sticky adhesive migrating out. That stray adhesive may have grabbed the corner of the seal and held on until it ripped the seal. The exterior of the flashing is black painted. Since then, I have replaced the small patch of eternabond and cleaned the area with mineral spirits and alcohol. But, the damage is done to the seal. If I didn't have the toppers, or had at least been into this area before and recognized this was a two man operation, I'd give it a shot at replacing the the seals myself.
The moral of this story is... if you have slide toppers on your rig, go take a look at the eternabond patch in the outer top corners of your slides( I'm sure its there to prevent the sheet metal from chewing up the bulb seals) and if it's moved or shows any gooey ooze coming out. Take Care of it Now! This is apt to be a costly experience
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #27

No link but check etrailer, they start about for 250 depending on size
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
Hi Witch Doctor,

I had a look at the Dometic website and couldn't find these listed. Do you have a link?

Regards,

Bruce

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
Almost 4 years old.
[emoji16][emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #29

Too funny Bikendan! As a new 5th wheel owner I had no idea they are called 'toppers'. Now I can search the Inet for them.....

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
Too funny Bikendan! As a new 5th wheel owner I had no idea they are called 'toppers'. Now I can search the Inet for them.....
Having not had one on our first trailer with a slideout, it only took a year before we had to get one, due to many issues. One big one was our slideout seals sticking from tree sap and residue.
Never had anymore issues after that so we would NEVER be without one.
As far as I know, there are only 3 slide topper manufacturers. Carefree, Dometic and Solera. Solera is relatively new to the market.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #31

I have then on my 5er, but only 2. The slide on the entry side doesn't have one because the main awning covers that . I would love to have one there as well ,so that I came close the main awning at night in case it rains
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian mccabe View Post
Anybody else have problems with the spring becoming too tight on slide topper?
I think one of my toppers is to loose, it sags more than the other . Maybe it can be set tighter in the spring for more tension
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I think one of my toppers is to loose, it sags more than the other . Maybe it can be set tighter in the spring for more tension
Just an FYI, that post was made in 2014 and the poster hasn't been active on the site since 2016.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Just an FYI, that post was made in 2014 and the poster hasn't been active on the site since 2016.
Thanks I was testing, lol sorry
Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #35
Full-time 5'er

I'm camped right now in Katy, TX. I just had three Colorado toppers installed 3 days ago for $2800 at Camping World. It's blowing 40 mph out there and I had to pull all 3 of my slides in because they were flopping around and making a racket. We couldn't sleep all night. My XLR 375AMP is rocking like an earthquake. Any advice on saving my new investment.Click image for larger version

Name:	0117191602_HDR.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	194942
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnolasco View Post
I'm camped right now in Katy, TX. I just had three Colorado toppers installed 3 days ago for $2800 at Camping World. It's blowing 40 mph out there and I had to pull all 3 of my slides in because they were flopping around and making a racket. We couldn't sleep all night. My XLR 375AMP is rocking like an earthquake. Any advice on saving my new investment.Attachment 194942
Yes, you can try and put a beach ball under them, that will stop the flopping.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #37

Has anybody DIY'd them? Is it easy or hard?

I'm thinking about one for my NOBO and hate paying someone to do something I can do myself.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
Has anybody DIY'd them? Is it easy or hard?

I'm thinking about one for my NOBO and hate paying someone to do something I can do myself.
Yes, it's easy if you have 2 people