Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Slide-Out Awning: Worth it?

This is my second TT and both have slides. Neither, however, have had awnings over their slides. It's a mod that I considered doing on my Dutchmen (the first one), but it was at the age where I was constantly spending money to fix and replace stuff, so a slide-out awning was pretty low on the to-do list. Now that I have a like-new Flagstaff that needs nothing other than the obvious routine maintenance, I would like to consider installing an awning over the slide-out. I would just like to know if this mod is really worth the money and does it have real benefits? Does anybody recommend a brand i.e AE, Dometic, etc.?

TT: 2010 Flagstaff 27BHSS; TV: 2002 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke, 3.73 LS
2015: 11 total days camped
Huntsville Space Center, AL; William Bankhead National Forest, AL; and Gulf State Park, AL
Titanium-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #2

west texas.....winds all the time......after hearing my in laws flap and flutter like a parachute at 200mph, no thanks........i would like them if not that ..........but again.....its west texas...lol.....although it would be nice to keep the twigs and leaves and crap off my slides..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Owner/Operator

I've had them on all the RVs I've owned with Slideouts. I've not been in winds like Ironj describes, but I have been in a freezing rain situation, and it was sure nice to just bring the Slide in and watch the ice roll off.

Had I not had them, I'd have had to get on the roof and somehow clear the ice from the top of the slides before closing them.

The insulation benefit of the air gap between the Topper and the Slide Roof also is a great help in hot weather.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #4

I have dual 15k ac units that save the day...but oh what I would give not to have to cart a ladder around to get on the roof to clean! ! ...no option to add one to my trailer....toppers are on my imaginary dream list though!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Site Team

we made the mistake of not having one installed before we paid for our HTT.
2 years later we paid a lot more to have one installed.

since we mainly camp in forested campgrounds, we had all kinds of issues with sap and tree residues that caused the slide seals to adhere to the side of the trailer. i actually had to use a butter knife to break the "glue" that had formed. not even pushing on the slide from the inside would break it loose.

since we had the slide topper installed, we've never had this issue again, nor to i have to get a ladder to sweep the top of the slide off.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #6

DH believes in them wholeheartedly. We always get them if they aren't already installed. BTW, this is our first trip with the popup gizmos and the 'keep it clean' factor we appreciate with the slide awning is the same.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #7

Three Cs,Cooler,Cleaner,and Cheaper if installed at the Factory. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

Pollen is about the only thing that seems to get under them, after sitting for several months in Fla....hosed under them and brushed with water.....let dry and they came in clean.....some folk build a pvc frame to go under them....to keep from flapping and collecting water.....so far here water has not been a problem....IMO they are a must

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Denver, CO

I have a brush and squeegee on a pole with a 90 dew elbow that a salesman told me about. Takes a couple minutes and gets most of the debris and water off. I used a couple of boat hooks, brushes and a boat cover adjustable 90 deg elbow.

Lighter and cheaper than a slide, I think.

I am intrigued by the newish slide out sleeve cover that Lippert has out. That may solve the wind issue.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium-X View Post
This is my second TT and both have slides. Neither, however, have had awnings over their slides. It's a mod that I considered doing on my Dutchmen (the first one), but it was at the age where I was constantly spending money to fix and replace stuff, so a slide-out awning was pretty low on the to-do list. Now that I have a like-new Flagstaff that needs nothing other than the obvious routine maintenance, I would like to consider installing an awning over the slide-out. I would just like to know if this mod is really worth the money and does it have real benefits? Does anybody recommend a brand i.e AE, Dometic, etc.?
I would not have another RV without them. The plus's are no more bringing in dirt on top of the slide or water. Also over my table, is a light and the electrical wire lays on top and then penetrates through the roof of the slide. So it also protects that. As far as the wind, It really has to blow for it to flop around enough to bother you. I have seen other campers use a PVC frame at the ends or even seen blown up rafts or beach balls installed when it get's windy. I have learned that if you bring your slide in a little it will stop the flopping. but you can still use the space. They are spring loaded and it depends on the tension. Dometic I think are the best brands....... you will love them !!!!!!!!!! get the best fabric in mils. I think they call it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

Lots of debate on these Titanium-X. Some wouldn't be without them, others would never consider them. Alot depends on how and where you camp like ironj said and how often you camp. If you go out a couple times a year they probably won't pay for themselves. If you camp alot in sunny conditions then yes. We've never had them on the 4 campers w/slide outs we've owned.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

They are worth every penny.
We didn't have them on our first camper, but do now. There are too many advantages to list.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Denver, CO

Unnecessary frills. The next thing ya know we'll be talking about wireless remote control electric awnings. Really? Will the search for convenience never end.

LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Unnecessary frills. The next thing ya know we'll be talking about wireless remote control electric awnings. Really? Will the search for convenience never end.

LOL
Slideout awnings are not just a convenience. They serve many practical purposes. Besides keeping detritous off the slide roof, they drastically reduce the chance of water getting past the slides seals in heavy rain, they keep the slide cooler in the blazing sun, and also protect the upper slide seal from the deteriorating effects of full sun exposure.
It seems that the only people who don't recommend slide awnings are those who don't have them. And if you don't have them, can you really provide an informed opinion?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #15

We love our slide toppers! Had them factory installed when we special ordered the RV. Many advantages as previously stated. Last week, we had over 2 inches of wet snow fall overnight. In the AM, I brought all three slides in then put them out again and all that heavy snow fell to the ground before it could freeze in place or damage the toppers from the weight. We've had the toppers flop around a little in high wind but not enough to worry about.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Slideout awnings are not just a convenience. They serve many practical purposes. Besides keeping detritous off the slide roof, they drastically reduce the chance of water getting past the slides seals in heavy rain, they keep the slide cooler in the blazing sun, and also protect the upper slide seal from the deteriorating effects of full sun exposure.
It seems that the only people who don't recommend slide awnings are those who don't have them. And if you don't have them, can you really provide an informed opinion?
X2 bakken. Well spoken. It amazes me how the folks that have never had them can be that well informed as to list the dis-advantages of them.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

LOL
I think their are some people who have that already installed. If I remember right there is a thread already on that. I think it's an add on with a remote. I think of it like a boat you just keep pouring money down the hole, but people love frills. I know I do not need LED lights outside but after reading today's post on them, Damn I want them now. This forum cost me hundreds of $$$$$. But nobody is twisting my arm........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think their are some people who have that already installed. If I remember right there is a thread already on that. I think it's an add on with a remote. I think of it like a boat you just keep pouring money down the hole, but people love frills. I know I do not need LED lights outside but after reading today's post on them, Damn I want them now. This forum cost me hundreds of $$$$$. But nobody is twisting my arm........
Only hundreds of $$$$? You're just saying that to hide the real outlay from somebody. I wonder who????
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #19

I've never had them and never wished I had them, but according to everyone on here they cure baldness, memory loss and umm...geez what was that other thing?? I will give them more thought on my next RV since I can see some advantages.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #20

I only have one slide-out so it won't kill me to try one. I'm thinking $500-$700 to let the stealer put one on. It won't be tomorrow, but sometime this season between trips. I camp in both hot open areas and under the cover of trees. I used to climb on the roof of my old camper and sweep off the slide before cranking it in, so I can see some benefits there. If it will keep the slide a little cooler and protect the seals, that would also be a plus.

TT: 2010 Flagstaff 27BHSS; TV: 2002 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke, 3.73 LS
2015: 11 total days camped
Huntsville Space Center, AL; William Bankhead National Forest, AL; and Gulf State Park, AL
Titanium-X is offline   Reply With Quote