Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Sliding window handle lock frame coming off

The handle where the lock is attached keeps coming off the large sliding window above dinette. It is difficult getting pressed all the way back on the window. Does anyone know the secret to get this back on so that it stays on.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Pictures please.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

Pics 1 & 3 Handle of window that needs to be attached to window:

Pic 2 Other window on coach with handle attached:

Pic 3 Window with handle missing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2581.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	35227   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2582.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	35228   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2583.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	35229   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2584.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	35230  

2011 Georgetown 350TS
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Would clean all surfaces of the window and channel with acetone and use some Permatex clear rtv silicone the entire length of the channel. Use enough that it squeezes out on both sides, let cure and cut off excess.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

Reviving since I have the same trouble LOL!
While on my two week trip around the Maritimes, the handle of the "bedroom" window came off, but mine as also a rubber length...
So should I "glue" the rubber to the window than simply put the handle over the rubber, or glue the rubber in the handle, than try to squeeze everything on the window?

Thanks for the tip!
SergeAyotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

I had the same problem. It's a tight fit. Cut a length of wood equal in length, place it over the metal piece and tamp it on with a rubber mallet. Silicone also sounds like a good idea
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

I did the wood with rubber mallet procedure. If seems to be holding so far.

2011 Georgetown 350TS
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #8

Be sure to lubricate the window slide channels and the glass wiper. That will reduce the force needed to slide the window. I used silicone spray.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #9

My Georgetown is having their exact same issue in the same spot by the dinette. I am going to try the wood and silicone.
Jimmyjpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #10

I'm in a similar boat ... our used rv was missing the handle. Hehr just shipped one to us along with a rubber strip. I'm not sure what to do with the rubber strip? Anyone know??

Joanne
2014 Class C Freelander 29qb
jbriopelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #11

Cool

Same trouble here ..... Coachmen Prism with Herr(?) windows.

I've reattached the pull piece twice (using wood block and hammer taps) but it keeps pulling off. Yes, I I've lubed the window tracks with silicone spray.

Looks like the only real solution is to drill holes trough both the pull member AND the window pane, then use screws/bolts to do the pull-window attachment. Is the window pane glass or something else?

I'd like to hear more detail about the adhesive approach.

Still more Coachmen 'quality'
Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #12

I also had a sliding window grip (or pull?) come off. After it came off several times I pinched it slightly in a vise with the vise jaws covered with cloth. It hasn't come off again.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

this keeps happening to me. I've put the pieces back together 4 times so far. At first, I thought the blazing sun was the problem and this weekend it came apart in the shade. I can get it back together, but it is a pain in the $%#@. I cant see crimping the frame tighter because it is so tight that its tough to get back together. Do you silicone the rubber to the window, the rubber to the metal frame or both? do you need different adhesives for the different materials?
thanks
2003 Four Winns 245 Sundowner
mikier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:51 PM   #14

But the first problem is that the fit is so tight that it is very difficult to press all the way back on, as the OP said. A lubricant that will evaporate is what I'm looking for. Also, I'm not in favor of applying an adhesive where the factory didn't.
NoviceEureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbriopelle View Post
I'm in a similar boat ... our used rv was missing the handle. Hehr just shipped one to us along with a rubber strip. I'm not sure what to do with the rubber strip? Anyone know??

Joanne
2014 Class C Freelander 29qb
The rubber strip first goes over the edge of the glass. Then the handle-latch channel is supposed to fit over the rubber strip. Obviously, the rubbers strip is supposed to hold the handle-latch firmly to the glass. The problem is that the fit is so tight that it seems almost impossible to get the handle-latch completely seated.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceEureka View Post
The rubber strip first goes over the edge of the glass. Then the handle-latch channel is supposed to fit over the rubber strip. Obviously, the rubbers strip is supposed to hold the handle-latch firmly to the glass. The problem is that the fit is so tight that it seems almost impossible to get the handle-latch completely seated.

I had this issue on my 2013 Coachmen Mirada constantly. I sprayed the rubber piece with hairspray then “gently” pounded the tab on with a plastic deadfall hammer. Usually held for a year or more after that, but would always happen again when I had not lubed the window slide recently.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Taylorgso;455493]I had the same problem. It's a tight fit. Cut a length of wood equal in length, place it over the metal piece and tamp it on with a rubber mallet. ...

Recalling that tire mounting lube is vegetable oil based, I decided to try lubricating just the outside of the rubber strip and the inside of the metal channel with Murphy's Oil Soap diluted with water. After placing the dry channel of the rubber strip over the dry glass, I positioned a kitchen sponge between the opposite end of the glass and the window frame before using your technique above.

With the frame-lock piece in place, I positioned a wood block against it and tapped it with the rubber mallet, working from bottom to top and back in increments, repositioning the sponge to be inline with the block. I verified that the channel seated against the back edge of the rubber strip (given its thickness), top to bottom.

I repeated this with one of the small front bunk windows. Now, we'll see how it holds after the water evaporates and the soap dries.

Tags
general advice, georgetown 350ts, motorhome, repairs, window