Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Step / Stair Handle Foam Replacement

My foam handle cover was destroyed. I did a search and didn't find anything about this. I did find this mention of a "Foam Wrap", but not this product. I was less than impressed by that idea, even though it did seem like a simple fix.

I found this repair kit locally for $13.95.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam Grip Handle Label.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	138550
Stromberg Carlson Foam Grip FP-1001-R for Lend-A-Hand step/stair handle.Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Handle Repair Kit.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	138549
It also included replacement bolts and springs which I didn't use because mine were in good shape. If you needed those items or just wanted to, I am sure re-assembly would easier than what I did.

Name:	didn not use.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	138551

Name:	end removed.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	138552

Name:	end removed 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	138553

Name:	inside back.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	138554

Name:	inside back 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	138555
The bar is removed by unscrewing 4 large phillips screws from the trailer wall. The black handle connectors have a pin with a spring held in place by a starlock sprung washer. I removed the washer with a pair of standard pliers by pulling toward the end then removed the pin and spring at the other end. (yes, some of this is obvious )

I cleaned the bar and made sure there were no burrs of metal that might rip or tear the foam. Then I sprayed the inside of the foam with Simple Green as the "directions" (hardly) implied. I sprayed the bar with Simple Green and started working the foam on. I had my son use the air hose also, but that really didn't seem to do anything.

The way we found worked best was an inch worm technique sliding one end then the other holding/manipulating the foam on with a paper towel. Using bar hands just made for a lot of slipping and very little sliding of the foam itself. In 5 minutes the foam was in place.

It is definitely a lot like putting on bike hand grips only longer. . .

Name:	slide up the handle.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	138560
My suspicion was confirmed that the turns were more difficult. I chose to slide the foam in place on the end with 2 x 45 degree turns instead on the 1 x 90 degree turn. I cannot say for sure, but I believe I chose the easier path.

Reinstalling the ends on the bar would definitely be easier with the supplied bolts, but I wanted the original look of the pin. I used a half open pair of needle nose pliers to press down on the washer until it was back to approx 1/2" from the end as it started.

Name:	atttached again.jpg
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	138561

Maybe I was lucky, but the seal material (like plumbers putty or something) was in decent shape so I removed re-rolled it and reinstalled it.

Name:	reattached to rv with new foam.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	138562
Anyway, I think it turned out fine. It seems to be the exact material I once had. Age and a hailstorm did the old one in. I sprayed and rubbed the black mounts with Mother's Back to Black.

I hope this helps someone out there looking to fix this same issue.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Should help those that need to replace the grip, myself if the grip wears out I'm getting rid of the handle (I doubt that will happen I leave it folded against the rig)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

LOL. Yes I had thought of removing it totally, but there would be holes in the side of the camper. The foam probably isn't really a requirement, and I was not going to do the tape/wrap. I was trying to keep it looking stock from the outside. At less than half the price of a new handle, I figured it was worth a shot.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

You can buy sports wrap in many colors for a add of bling. I am kinda old(mostly fat and broke down) and I ain't gonna lie....I use my handle sometimes.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

Copper water pipe insulation would work also. Sold in different sizes at the big box stores and your local hardware store. Wouldn't have to remove the hand rail from the trailer to install.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You can buy sports wrap in many colors for a add of bling. I am kinda old(mostly fat and broke down) and I ain't gonna lie....I use my handle sometimes.
That makes 2 of us !!! LOL !!!

Pipe wrap would work but it would be temporary !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam, handle, handrail, lend-a-hand, replacement, stair, step