Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

"...His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear..."

Did anyone else find the instructions or photos unclear?

I am at a loss as to what caused the damage and how it happened.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I am REALLY sorry Sid had problems with his install. I have to say the Neil exceeded my expectations as to what he shipped to me. No, there were not "instructions in the box" but there were certainly enough photos and posts from folks who actually did the install to get a good idea how it goes together.

I think the bolts used to mount the bracket were too long (none were provided since pop rivets were used by everyone who did the mod).

Again, I am really sorry Sid but I think blaming Neil for the mishap, after he provided the poles at just about cost of materials, is unfair.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
rip

I don't know if this applies, but the 8285WS 5-er has front and rear doors similar to the pull-trailer WJ 2809W I have ordered. The rear door has an entry assist handle in the small space between the door and the power awning strut.

A camper (with a 2809) at a park shared a tip that they blocked their entry handle so it could not fold back to the awning strut side, only out or back across the door. They said if it was folded the wrong way it would get scissored when the power awning retracted.

Could that be what happened here? Unrelated to OldCoot's idea. -ray
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I don't know if this applies, but the 8285WS 5-er has front and rear doors similar to the pull-trailer WJ 2809W I have ordered. The rear door has an entry assist handle in the small space between the door and the power awning strut.

A camper (with a 2809) at a park shared a tip that they blocked their entry handle so it could not fold back to the awning strut side, only out or back across the door. They said if it was folded the wrong way it would get scissored when the power awning retracted.

If so, it could explain the damage to only the top of the door handle.
Maybe Sid was trying to keep "OIC" from hitting him with that big stick.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Negative

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:

Looks very possible based on the damage to the entry handle and the arm cover.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
rip

A lot may depend on where the entry assist handle is in relation to the bottom arm assembly on the awning. This is a foggy memory, I thought they said it might be hit by the bottom arm and not the channel. I see in the photo that the channel is bent. It doesn't show the bottom arm which might first hit a entry door handle folded left.

I also seem to recall seeing some with this layout that the entry door handle would not fold to the left with the awning open because it would not clear the bottom arm where the handle was mounted. -ray
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
"...His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear..."

I am at a loss as to what caused the damage and how it happened.
I have yet to put mine on but, I have seen enough photos and read enough text that I think I could put them on blind-folded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Again, I am really sorry Sid but I think blaming Neil for the mishap, after he provided the poles at just about cost of materials, is unfair.
I to feel bad for the OP, Because nobody want's to cause harm to their Camper.
As for Old Coot, his product is some of the best refined DIY I have ever seen. For goodness sake "ALL" the edges were filed and smooth.

Quote:

I truely was trying to figure out how the handle became a part of this, but I now remember seeing another trailer with a rear door assist in between the awning and the door.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #19

Oldcoot,send out a warning label with (Do Not Place the Door Assist Handle between awning arms while retracting awning!!) Youroo!!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Oldcoot,send out a warning label with (Do Not Place the Door Assist Handle between awning arms while retracting awning!!) Youroo!!
I would, but I don't think the aluminum poles added to the arms caused the Door Assist Handle to swing into the path of the retracting awning arms.

I do believe there must have been an unknown outside force brought to bear on Sid's Door Assist Handle when he wasn't looking.

Tags
awning