Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Trouble with awning poles

You better be careful about the "OLD COOT" add on stuff, this is what you will get when you buy his stuff. Bent my fine electronic auto dump awning
Cover arm and about cut my rear door "ASSIST" handle into.

His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear.

When we get to "Moore Haven" for the kick back rally, the "OIC" (one in charge)will be taking care of him for sure. She carries a big stick and does not talk softly!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLD COOT MISTAKE 001.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	22305   Click image for larger version

Name:	OLD COOT MISTAKE 002.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	22306  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
You better be careful about the "OLD COOT" add on stuff, this is what you will get when you buy his stuff. Bent my fine electronic auto dump awning Cover arm and about cut my rear door "ASSIST" handle into.

His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear.

When we get to "Moore Haven" for the kick back rally, the "OIC" (one in charge)will be taking care of him for sure. She carries a big stick and does not talk softly!!!!!!!
Don't know what happened, can you explain? Sent you a pm to give me a call.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

These posts moved from another unrelated thread.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

WOW Sid! So sorry man.

When you mounted the lower brackets, what kind of bolts did you use?

There is not a lot of room to clear the operating arms and pop rivets were recommended and all photos of installations showed pop rivets being used.

These photos are from other installs where members posted photos. It looks like your lower retaining bracket might have been mounted too high and/or in the way of the other moving parts.

I did retract mine the first time using Turbo's remote control to make sure it would not hit anything as it retracted. There were no problems because I made sure the bracket would be no where near the other moving parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00135.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	22332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00130.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	22333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00133.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	22334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1816.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	22335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1815.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	22336  

Name:	DSCF1817.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	22337  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Bent my fine electronic auto dump awning
Cover arm and about cut my rear door "ASSIST" handle into.
Was this "auto dump" function enabled while the poles were erect and were tied down?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Was this "auto dump" function enabled while the poles were erect and were tied down?
It appears from the photos the trouble occurred on retraction.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It appears from the photos the trouble occurred on retraction.

I have not seen many "Awning" incidents to know from a photo that is was going in or out, but it would seem to me that, this would be a great time to invest in Turbs remote awning setup to watch what is happening when it all rolls up or out.

This must have been the first time it was tried with the poles installed then?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I have not seen many "Awning" incidents to know from a photo that is was going in or out, but it would seem to me that, this would be a great time to invest in Turbs remote awning setup to watch what is happening when it all rolls up or out.

This must have been the first time it was tried with the poles installed then?
The poles should have nothing to do with retracting or deploying the awning. If the poles are stowed, they do not interfere with the functioning of the arms. If they are swinging loose, they just swing in with the arms. If the awning is tied down with the poles deployed, the motor will not be able to move the awning or utilize the wind/auto dump feature as the awning roller tube is in a fixed position by the poles and ratchet straps.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The poles should have nothing to do with retracting or deploying the awning. If the poles are stowed, they do not interfere with the functioning of the arms. If they are swinging loose, they just swing in with the arms. If the awning is tied down with the poles deployed, the motor will not be able to move the awning or utilize the wind/auto dump feature as the awning roller tube is in a fixed position by the poles and ratchet straps.

That is what I was trying to allude to.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
WOW Sid! So sorry man.

When you mounted the lower brackets, what kind of bolts did you use?

There is not a lot of room to clear the operating arms and pop rivets were recommended and all photos of installations showed pop rivets being used.

These photos are from other installs where members posted photos. It looks like your lower retaining bracket might have been mounted too high and/or in the way of the other moving parts.

I did retract mine the first time using Turbo's remote control to make sure it would not hit anything as it retracted. There were no problems because I made sure the bracket would be no where near the other moving parts.
I wonder what type of fastener he used as well. I used pop rivets. The position of the bracket looks OK, my brackets are also mounted at that level. There ARE moving parts at that level and any fastener other than a rivet (which was recommended) would most likely make contact with them resulting in a failure.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

"...His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear..."

Did anyone else find the instructions or photos unclear?

I am at a loss as to what caused the damage and how it happened.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I am REALLY sorry Sid had problems with his install. I have to say the Neil exceeded my expectations as to what he shipped to me. No, there were not "instructions in the box" but there were certainly enough photos and posts from folks who actually did the install to get a good idea how it goes together.

I think the bolts used to mount the bracket were too long (none were provided since pop rivets were used by everyone who did the mod).

Again, I am really sorry Sid but I think blaming Neil for the mishap, after he provided the poles at just about cost of materials, is unfair.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
rip

I don't know if this applies, but the 8285WS 5-er has front and rear doors similar to the pull-trailer WJ 2809W I have ordered. The rear door has an entry assist handle in the small space between the door and the power awning strut.

A camper (with a 2809) at a park shared a tip that they blocked their entry handle so it could not fold back to the awning strut side, only out or back across the door. They said if it was folded the wrong way it would get scissored when the power awning retracted.

Could that be what happened here? Unrelated to OldCoot's idea. -ray
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I don't know if this applies, but the 8285WS 5-er has front and rear doors similar to the pull-trailer WJ 2809W I have ordered. The rear door has an entry assist handle in the small space between the door and the power awning strut.

A camper (with a 2809) at a park shared a tip that they blocked their entry handle so it could not fold back to the awning strut side, only out or back across the door. They said if it was folded the wrong way it would get scissored when the power awning retracted.

If so, it could explain the damage to only the top of the door handle.
Maybe Sid was trying to keep "OIC" from hitting him with that big stick.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:

Negative

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:

Looks very possible based on the damage to the entry handle and the arm cover.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
rip

A lot may depend on where the entry assist handle is in relation to the bottom arm assembly on the awning. This is a foggy memory, I thought they said it might be hit by the bottom arm and not the channel. I see in the photo that the channel is bent. It doesn't show the bottom arm which might first hit a entry door handle folded left.

I also seem to recall seeing some with this layout that the entry door handle would not fold to the left with the awning open because it would not clear the bottom arm where the handle was mounted. -ray
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
"...His instructions are not too clear and are really confusing, even the pictures he supplies are not too clear..."

I am at a loss as to what caused the damage and how it happened.
I have yet to put mine on but, I have seen enough photos and read enough text that I think I could put them on blind-folded.

Quote:
Again, I am really sorry Sid but I think blaming Neil for the mishap, after he provided the poles at just about cost of materials, is unfair.
I to feel bad for the OP, Because nobody want's to cause harm to their Camper.
As for Old Coot, his product is some of the best refined DIY I have ever seen. For goodness sake "ALL" the edges were filed and smooth.

Quote:

I truely was trying to figure out how the handle became a part of this, but I now remember seeing another trailer with a rear door assist in between the awning and the door.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #19

Oldcoot,send out a warning label with (Do Not Place the Door Assist Handle between awning arms while retracting awning!!) Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Oldcoot,send out a warning label with (Do Not Place the Door Assist Handle between awning arms while retracting awning!!) Youroo!!
I would, but I don't think the aluminum poles added to the arms caused the Door Assist Handle to swing into the path of the retracting awning arms.

I do believe there must have been an unknown outside force brought to bear on Sid's Door Assist Handle when he wasn't looking.

Tags
awning